Miracle baby or big fat lie...

This girl I used to work with stopped by to tell everyone she was pregnant. Her first child was an accident and she and the guy got married and live with her G-ma because they have little income. Well she claims she went in a and had her Mirana removed 3 weeks ago then this past week she started feeling hormonal and yucky so she went in to make sure everything was okay from getting the IUD removed. They did an ultrasound and found out she was 8.5 weeks pregnant?? Really? First what are the chances of actually getting pregnant on the Mirana. Second. wouldn't removing it cause her to miscarry? Is she lying so we won't think she is just stupid or is this really probable. I am aware it isn't my business but honestly what on this site is. I don't plan on being mean or anything to her I just wondered what everyone thought.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• The only "form" of birth control that is 100% is abstinence. It is possible to get pregnant on the pill, IUD, and all the other doctor-prescribed birth control.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 8:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Um, I got pregnant on Mirena, the IUD. Chances are slim-but it happens.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• It's possible. Anything is! I'd say most certainly it is probable. GL to her.
    Anonymous

• You CAN (and many women DO) get pregnant with an IUD.

The risk of miscarriage from the removal is HIGH but NOT 100% so she could be telling the truth.

Honestly there is no way of knowing for sure. Maybe she's telling the truth. Either way...there isn't much you can do about it.
    Anonymous

• It could happen. Sometimes they remove Mirena when a woman gets pregnant on it, sometimes they don't. It's possible, especially that early, that a pregnancy could have survived the removal. Mirena is very effective birth control, but nothing is 100%. I'd give her the benefit of the doubt. It's plausible, but not super common, ya know?
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• It's possible. IUD isn't 100%
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• very possible to get pregnant with a IUD anything is possible unless your not having sex. Birth controlle is not a 100%.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• In all honesty it seems a big coincidental and I'd be questioning more why/how her OB didn't know she was pregnant before he/she removed the IUD.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I had an IUD when I got pregnate with my 2nd child. He survived the removal. One of my best girl friends just found out she is pregnate even though she had an IUD. When she went to get it removed, it was gone!! It had fallen out at some point without her even knowing it.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 6:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I've known of women who got pregnant on the IUD and were lucky enough to not have hurt the baby when having it removed. The chances of accidentally aborting the baby with removal of the IUD is high, but if lucky the baby can survive unharmed. It is possible.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2011