How do I get my 2 1/2 yr old to eat more than just chicken nuggets from takeout?

My 2 yr old eats snacks like popcorn, pringles (ranch), and cherrios! That's it for snacks! I have tried every chicken nugget out there in stores and she will not eat them! I even tried putting them in the MCD's box and she still won't eat them! All she will eat is MCD's and Wendy's nuggets! Now she isn't even hardly eating the fries either!!!! Please help! I need any ideas! I forgot to say when I make lunch, dinner, breakfast-I give her a little plate of her own of what I made nad put it on her table, she just ignores it after she sees what it is! Ahhhhh, I am so much in need of ideas, thanks!

annamarie1147

Asked by annamarie1147 at 7:21 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She won't starve herself...Just make what you are going to make, and that is what she gets. If she doesn't want to eat it then she isn't hungry. When she says she is hungry, give her options YOU want her to eat. If she doesn't want those then she isn't hungry enough...It is a control issue.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Quit buying her take-out.

A toddler will NOT starve themselves.

And as for the chicken nuggets...why the hell does she need to eat chicken nuggets? MAKE HER A FRIGGEN HOME COOKED MEAL...not something out of the frozen food section!

Maybe that's why she won't eat it. I wouldn't eat that crap either!!

YOU ARE THE PARENT!! YOU ARE IN CHARGE OF WHAT GOES INTO HER MOUTH! If she's got bad eating habbits that is YOUR FAULT not hers!
    Anonymous

• Her father is the one that actually got her into this habit! I have tried to not get her the nuggest plenty of days but the dad tells me I am starving my daughter and then he underminds me it gets it for her! Even after I haven't gave her any takeout for a couple days! I am still living with her dad too so it very hard to tell him no! Cause he does it any way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    annamarie1147

Comment by annamarie1147 (original poster) at 7:28 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I totally agree of not giving her the fast food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So now I need ideas on how to get her to be interested in real food!!!!! And like I said I offer her real home cooked meals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    annamarie1147

Comment by annamarie1147 (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• then it looks like you have a bigger problem on your hands...If dad isn't willing to change then you are not going to be able to fix this problem
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I have heard from various experts (not on here) that you need to introduce different foods several times. Our tastes change & something she may not eat one day, or next week or even next month, she may like the month after. I will agree w/ the other moms in respect to the part about her not starving. Kids will eat when they are hungry. If you make her a meal & she refuses, then wrap it & reheat it for the next meal. Make her take 2 bites (since she is 2) of everything on her plate that she says she doesnt like. I have also divided piles of veggies in half, let them pick which pile they will eat- & they feel in control over their meal. Use a ranch dip for veggies or a little butter/margerine. Believe it or not, Applesauce can be used to dip things too :) Plz cut back on the fast food/take out. It's not good for any of you. Go onto some websites (Like Rachel Ray) for more kid friendly tips on cooking.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I agree that she will not starve. It will be tough to transition but offer her what you have made for each healthy meal and that is what she gets to pick from. Of what you mentioned air popped corn (not salted or buttered) and cheerios are OK.  Add some fruits, yogurt, cheese.

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• You are not going to be able to get her to eat anything else until her father stops undermining you. Sorry you are going thru this. Just know that you are NOT starving her. Please don't feel bad if he is telling you this.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• You and dad need to be united on offering her a healthy diet. Talk it over with him again.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• it is true that she won't starve herself, I would try making it fun, like getting her involved in what you are making. Making up a trying plate so she can try different foods. I think you need to start giving her different things and having her just try them. I would leave her plate on the table and if she gets down tell her she won't get anything else until she tries her food.

In my house you have to try everything on your plate and eat all of one thing, so if we have chicken, brussel sprouts and rice you have to try everything. Also I make smoothies for my kids with things like fresh fruit, yogurt, milk, ice and agave nectar to sweeten it.

When my kids were this age they only liked certain food as well, just try and be creative and don't give in to her, she will eat.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2011