Ok this is and odd question one of my cats has awful gas. I mean smell the whole room up horrificially. Is there anything I can do to help him?

21lisa72

Asked by 21lisa72 at 7:26 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Pets

• Does he have worms? You might have him checked.

Good luck - mine is headed to the vet this week with that very issue - and I suspect he's wormy. He's our newest addition so I'm sure Dr. Johnson will fix him up :) Literally - in fact, he's being fixed, too lol
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 7:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• ^ AAAMama has the right idea.
    I can relate, last night as we were going to bed, the dog had really bad gas and my 4 year old son was like, "Mommy, can you check and see if Marlee pooped?" It smelled that bad.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 7:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Have you switched foods recently?
    Anonymous

• It could be the food. I think if there is a large amount of corn or corn by-product or corn meal it can cause gas. At least I think it's the corn that causes them to be gassy.
    I have boy cat that farts if you startle him. Kinda gross, but kinda funny, too!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• it could be the food. i have a male cat also that farts when you pet him lol it sounds so funny but my goodness can he clean out a room. needless to say we are in the process of changing his food.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• what is he eating?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• It could be the food and it could be worms. My cat had bad gas and his poo smelled terrible when I first got him and he had worms-tapeworms. If it is neither-try a good quality cat food with no grain as cats cannot digest grains. Also there are probiotics for pets too. But check for worms or other problems first.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Yes, I would definitely consider getting rid of grains in the diet. Most commercial cat foods are nothing BUT grains and nasty byproducts. Cats are carnivores and can't even digest grains!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:46 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Get his stool checked and consider a change in diet. I'm a pet nutrition consultant - PM me if you have specific questions.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 6:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2011