How to throw a great, cheap, 1st birthday?

I have about 40-50 people coming and I already rented a hall (only $25)! And I scheduled the party for 1:30pm until 4pm , so no meal. What else?

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 7:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would atleast have some food... we did a potluck bbq
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Serve several appetizers and drinks. Games for the older children? Party bags for the kids.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:40 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• We went to the dollar store for decorations and made others by hand. I don't know how practical that is if you have a big hall all we had to decorate was our front door and dining room area. Can you buy those single serve ice cream cups? I don't think they are that expensive and that way everyone can have something to eat.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I would atleast serve finger food appetizers and drinks (soda for adults, juices for the kids) Do games (look them up on the internet, there's a lot you can make at home, or use things around the house) get decorations from the dollar store, and make some of your own. Bring a stereo to play music, let the kids have fun.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• some fun actitivies for the kids is face painting, a coloring table, and game were the kids can have candy treats for playing.

A great idea for treats would be to have a candy bar and have enough containers so people can fill up the containers with treats while at the party. We went to a party that had a candy bar and it was NICE.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 7:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• The Dollar General has cheap and nice party decorations, games, and party favor stuff! I'd even pick up a couple bags of chips and pretzels and put them out in bowls. Can you bring a radio or cd player for music? Blow up balloons and put them all over the floor so the kids can run around in them.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• finger foods maybe? depending on the age of the children attending a few games.
    Destins_Mommy

Answer by Destins_Mommy at 12:33 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• First you have to consider what's in the budget & what u can afford. I mean, its your child's first birthday. Two, Make sure everyone RSVPs so you know exactly how many are coming;. We've seen ppl plan for 50 and only 15 show up! A Potluck is really a great idea. This way everyone knows one item they can eat will be good! And to be honest, most ppl don't mind helping out! You may want to have it a little more organized and give them choices, like desert, hot meal, salad, drinks, rolls,etc. Everyone one has told you where to go. The thing is keeping it simple! No need to go overboard. They are here to celebrate with you and your child. They are here to see you both and visit. Then last thing any one's going to notice is what it look likes. They do have $1.00 tablecloths at WalMart & Dollar Store. You can also rent a Helium tank & 50 balloons. or to buy it. Forget right now. Hope this helps. Have FUN!!!

WalknWithGod

Answer by WalknWithGod at 9:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Get some 5 dollar pizzas and have them cut into party size pieces. Make peanut butter and jelly Sandwiches cut out in fun cookie cutter shapes. Instead of buying soda (which really adds up) make koolaid and have water available as well. Streamers are so cheap 50 cents and you can doube them and twist them hang them from the ceiling and behind the birthday Childs high chair. A dozen balloons make it really feel like a party and that will run you only about $13. People really don't care about the cute decorative cups and plates so just go with solid colors which dollar stores have for the cheap.I have a 3 and 1 year old so birthdays are always around the corner. I've got it down to an art now though
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 9:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I bought some cheap balloons that we are just going to blow up ourselves and I found 20 games the older kids can play with those. My MIL is making the and bring the cake and my mom is bring ice cream. I still have a lot of paper products from Christmas. I also have some coloring pages and crayons.

Anything else?
    lmt_mom2010

Comment by lmt_mom2010 (original poster) at 7:15 AM on Jan. 11, 2011