What is something i can do to be happy?

I suffer from major depression, i havent been taking my meds like im suppose to because i dont wanna have to rely on a pill to make me happy. What is something i could do for myself to make me feel better about myself?

CandyMama231

Asked by CandyMama231 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Health

• Exercise works wonders for me.

Answer by older at 7:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Take your pills and also find something you do well and do it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• exercise.......if you are a religious person read the bible, read some inspirational books, get a hobby, i dont know hope something works...good luck
    sunflower39346

Answer by sunflower39346 at 7:43 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I agree with the exercise helping. It really isn't wise to just stop your meds. Please rethink that decision.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:43 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Yes, exercise. Just walking for a half hour makes me happy. And be sure you are eating healthy food and drink water,take vtamins. A vitamin deficiency can make you depressed. But the exercise,walking,water....they all help me so much! And, my Doctor told me I should be "My own best friend" and give myself positive messages Every time you have a negative,gloomy thought, replace it with a good one.
    God luck!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Pills will not make you happy. They are meant to help stabilize your mood and give you enough energy to begin healing. Only when you have the energy will you begin a journey. Therapy will help if you have the right med. Willingness to do the things that may bring joy into your life can only begin with a stable mood. I hope you find the right med and know what it is intended for. I think sometimes we all expect tooo much from a pill. Best of luck. I find faith helps but it is not the end all/ Christians suffer from depression too. It truly does rain on everyone.
    KISS1224

Answer by KISS1224 at 7:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Exercise. But also don't forget that for some, depression is a chemical imbalance and you need the medication to get your balances back.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Count what blessings you have right now...write them down and be thankful for those things...look at them often. When you notice you are thinking negative thoughts or feeling bad....yell out loud "Stop! Go Away!" and count your blessings again. Look for good in every situation. Pray and ask God to guide you daily. Get a daily devotional type book. you can email a request to twfyt@wordforyou.com or call 800-856-6159 or seams.devotionals@purposedrivenlife.com (Rick Warren writer of the book "purpose Driven Life" ) Read the book Purpose Driven Life...but only one chapter a day. :) I hope you feel better.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 7:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• ZUMBA its so much fun and its easy,, you loose weight and cant help to laugh and be happy..
    kyiahsmommy

Answer by kyiahsmommy at 8:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I think that when we are sad we need someone who cares. Im lucky because i have a sister who has chosen to always be available to me. I dont know how she does it , sometimes when your depressed lets face it we're a drag. But she always makes me feel important to her. I love her. If you dont have that its tougher. I like to look at funny utube vids with my daughter. I wish you the best. and even though i dont know you i care. and i have been there and so has many people . Love
    prettymango

Answer by prettymango at 8:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2011