How much do you spend?

On groceries each week? (Or month however you do it.)
If you absolutely had to could you get by with half that?

2murphyboys

Asked by 2murphyboys at 7:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Prob $300 a month. If I had to do half then Id do everything I could to make ends meet. If theres a will theres a way
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• We spend about $600 a month for our groceries. And yeah i think with a little bit more management we could only spend half that price.
    CandyMama231

Answer by CandyMama231 at 7:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• 600-800 a month. Could we get by with half? No. We buy mostly organic, and natural foods. Food is one place I won't make cuts.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I went to the store on Thurs. I left with what I normally buy and spent $225 with coupons and MVP card. I use to spend about $150 per week for 5 adults. We make our lunches and rarely eat out. I don't buy soft drinks, steaks (often), or lots of pre-made food. I do buy 7 gallons of milk a week. I would rather buy milk than Pepsi or Coke. I don't know what I could do without. The food I bought for Christmas as over $300. Last year it amounted to about $225. I shop sales, do the BOGO, all the specials I can. It is ridiculous.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• We're a family of 4 (two adults, 2 little ones) and we spend probably anywhere from $300-400 a month on food. I do a lot of bulk shopping at like Sam's club and I think that helps. Buying bulk rice/pasta/meat/frozen veggies/juices lasts a long time and I'm all about eliminating as many trips to the store as possible =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 8:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• about $600 a month. thats just food nothing else... and no i dont think we could survive on half... we go through a gallon and a half of milk a DAY! plus 3 meals a day for 4 ppl and 2 snacks a day for 3 ppl... unless we ate cheap prepared meals we couldnt do it
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 8:16 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• about $140 every 3 weeks or a little less there are 5 of us
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 8:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• $600-$800 a month for food and household supplies. I shop weekly and yes, we can spend less one week, but I usually end up spending way more in the following week because we've run out of so many things. We have a family of 2 adults, a teen and a tween and we feed our older daughter's boyfriend most of the time (so much so that when I cook it's for five instead of four). We also homeschool so I prepare three meals and at least two snacks a day at home.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I spend about $400 dollars a month. I could maybe cut it back to $300 but not half. We already shop sales and mostly buy the necessities. The problem is my husband, he insists on eating meat EVERYDAY and doesn't like to go without his treats like bacon and nacho chips. If I could cut back on the extra snacks for him we could probably get it down to $300.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 8:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I normally spend $250 a month on average.

Last month I spent around $100 and this month I have to do the same thanks to layoffs at work. If I utilize what I find in my cupboards and freezer, plan meals and snacks, cook from scratch, and think out of the box, I can and do live on less than half that $250 average.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2011