what did you do to keep busy while your husband was deployed..

I need ideas so i wont miss him so much or wonder what he is doing.. basically to keep sane...

NaiveDream

Asked by NaiveDream at 8:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Never experienced it, but when he does deploy I plan on spending much of my time to make care packages for him, wait for his calls, email/write him, do a boudoir photo shoot, etc...

I can think of MANY things.

I know entirely too many women that blow all their husbands money when they're on deployment. I'd make use of my time, re-figure the finances, and have everything paid off... Etc... Maybe re-make the bedroom even? So when he comes home, you two have a "sanctuary".

Go to school, work out, spend much needed time with the kids, fly home while he's on deployment, learn how to sew, etc...

Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 8:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I just put most of my energy and attention into my kids. I enrolled my son into soccer the first time. A friend of mine who's husband deployed at the same time took turns making dinner with each other once a week. Find a craft you like to do. Get out of the house as much as you can...volunteer with your church or childs school or an organization that you are interested in. I also took some time to visit family since we lived so far away.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• First deployment I went to college and had a job
    2nd deployment is rather boring, I've trying to find a job but no luck but my 2 kids keep me very busy.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My dad was a navy pilot during Nam. My mother passed the time by taking classes in different things she's always wanted to learn. She also had the luxury of being with her parents during that time so that helped a lot. I have quite a few friends with husband's on duty and most of them throw themselves into volunteer work and continuing education classes. It seems to help. Though nothing ever really takes the sting away of them not being there.
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 8:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I made friends and we had cookouts and just did all kinds of fun stuff.....I was always so busy that the time flew by. Dont go changing too many things around the house. Too much change isnt good for him when he comes home.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 9:21 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Everything and anything. Reading, visiting family, heading to the mall even just to walk, parks. I try to get out of the house almost every day. Sometimes it is McDonalds but there are friendly faces and it is not home. I did house, maintenance, painting, some small projects. My sister and I tiled a floor while he was gone once. We go camping. Anything to make the time go by.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Pray, send packages, check instant messenger write letters.. Thats what I did while my son was away! I am praying for all you ladies with husbands deployed/or going. Must me much harder.
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 9:07 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Learn a new hobby
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2011