PPD

anyone have ppd? what r symptoms? can they be portrayed on another child other than the new baby?

i have a 5 week old daughter, i love her, im all over her when she is awake, if she cries, im right there, ect.
i also have a 5 yr old boy. he is challenging to say the least. since right before eva, 5 week old, was born, and till now, i can't "stand" him. he is outright horrible with me. he hits, kicks, headbutts, poops and pees his pants, argues about EVERYTHING!
he truly get my blood boiling.
so i was wondering if i had ppd and it is not toward my newborn, can i have it and it be toward my 5 yr old?
i have my 6 week checkup tomarrow and im going to get on meds, but i was wondering if this possible. i didn't have ppd with my son, at least if i did, it wasn't bad. ok, thanks!

mama2bof2

Asked by mama2bof2 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Health

• I don't think ppd is "aimed" at anyone in particular. Prob should go to your dr and talk to them about it.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 8:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I'm not sure about PPD however as far as your son goes he's just acting out because he's no longer getting all your attention. I would just make time specifically for him. Let him know he's loved and that you'll always be there for him. And when you are spending this quality time with him don't rush to your LO the second she cries. (it's not going to do her any harm at all if she fusses for a minute or 2) All that will do is reenforce these feelings that he's not as important as she is.
    GL!
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 8:22 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• thats a serious medical condition. I am happy that you are going to your doctor about it. I m not sure if you can have it toward the 5 yr old. But i can understand your frustration since it seems he is really battling for your attention right now. I really sympathize with you. Its tough when they are small. With the 5yr old being so defiant you really need some ideas and help. At the very least maybe someone to watch the infant so you could take the 5 yr old out for some mom time . Sounds like he needs to go for a walk with you and collect leaves or rocks , story time ... Its hard . I know ... wish i could give ya a hug. Being brave is hard. When hes being his worst he needs your love the most. Sincerely ,
    prettymango

Answer by prettymango at 8:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• You need to be more sensitive to your five year old. He is acting out because he is not the baby anymore and it is your job to love him anyway and help him through it. Remember when he was as small as your 5 week old, and remember your 5 week old will someday be a five year old. Having kids means loving them and having PATIENCE with them at every age. Not just when they are tiny.

Doesn't sound like PPD to me. PPD means you are depressed and crying, not complaining about your child who is crying. Sounds like you need help parenting.
    Anonymous