How do you show honor to parents?

Jesus said, quoting from the Old Testament 10 Commandments, "Honor your father and mother." (Matthew 15:4). How do we do that?

It differs through the years. As children we obey them in everything. As adults we show respect and patience. Difference situations and need will dictate different responses. But, underlying all of our actions is respect.

How do you show honor to your Mother/Father or both (if they are alive)?

group hug

WalknWithGod

Asked by WalknWithGod at 8:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't honor either one of them bc quiet frankly IMHO they don't deserve it.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 8:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My mother now 91, the only one of my parents living, is now my princess as I was once hers. I take care of her as she did me when I was small, this is how I honor what she has always done for us.

Answer by older at 8:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I believe that honor doesn't stop with their passing from this life.

But, my parents are living and I honor them by being respectful, even if I disagree with them. I sometimes have to tell them that I'm not a child any more and that I feel the best choice for us isn't what they would prefer. But, I seek their counsel - DH does as well. Etc.

I wish I'd been better about honoring them as a child/youth.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 8:18 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I'm with the first poster. My parents never showed me respect or even showed they were evn parents growing up. They dont deserve my honor.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I believe in many of ways we can show them.. Thru doing the things they taught us to do also thru love and appriceation for the things that were sacraficed for us no matter what age..
    Destins_Mommy

Answer by Destins_Mommy at 12:28 AM on Jan. 10, 2011