Do you consider a dad a never really sees his kids to be raising them?

My dad usually saw me a couple of hours in the evening and then on the weekends. And even then I don't remember him being involved in the taking care of me. So when he tries to tell me how to raise my son I tell him I don't take parenting advice from people how have never raised a kid. And it pisses him off but to me it's true.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Did he provide for your family? What you said to him is a REALLY sh/tty thing to say. Granted I don't know your relationship, but if he was there nights and weekends, I assume he was working days to support the family. You seem like a very ungrateful brat. I mean, seriously.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• He might have been there more than you realize, especially when you were younger...possibility?
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Sounds like my dad but he was always working. Even though my dad was never there I consider him more of a parent then my mother was.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• no i think you have to be there more than just a couple times to say you raise them.. even if he only saw you on weekends he could still come visit right?
    kyiahsmommy

Answer by kyiahsmommy at 8:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• He did provide for us. And I'm grateful for that and I do love him. I just get so mad when he tells me I'm doing this wrong and that wrong when he was never really involved with the day to day aspect of raising us
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Just b/c he wasn't physically there as much as you think he should have been does not mean he was not involved in decision making and consultation with your mom about what to do.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 8:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• What does it hurt to listen?

He may have a point.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 8:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Just b/c he wasn't physically there as much as you think he should have been does not mean he was not involved in decision making and consultation with your mom about what to do. Answer by bugfin

Kinda what I was thinking. My dh is only home on mornings and the rare weekend evening but I still think he has just as much responsibility and say in our childrens raising as I do bc we talk and decide things together.

gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 8:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My dad worked 12-16 hours a day for most of my childhood to support our family. Did he have a lot of everyday contact with me? No. Does that make him any less of a father? NO! Your dad worked to take care of your family. He did not abandon you and now he's trying to be an active part of you and your child's life. Would it kill you to let him give you a little advice?

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• He always does it with such a attitude. Like he knows everything and I'm an idiot. That's why it makes me mad.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2011