Head Lice! Yikes!....any one know of any good remedies that work? Over the counter? It's summer and asking in advance with camp/sleep overs!

Any good home remedies? Last time we used Mayo, tea tree oil in hair....but seems we have to sit and pick. Nothing seems to kill them, just stuns them til you can go thru hair.

Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Health

• My hair stylist told me to buy the Walmart Equate brand of face moisturizer. Slather it on head, then put a plastic bag over it and tie. Sleep with this and it suffocates the little suckers. We have not tried it yet but she says it works. I know what you mean about sleep overs!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Rubbing Alcohol, had an experience last year - fastest thing and it worked immediately - was rubbing alchohol, hang your head over the tub and pour a little in your hand and rub it in like hair jell, your scalp will sting and those little critters will come out as soon as you comb you hair over the tub.
    Wash all linens and bed stuff in hot hot water....
    If you can actually see it in the scalp and its a smaller child that you cant put that much on put some on a cotton ball apply it to where you can see it as soon as you lift the cotton ball up you can comb it right out.

After that was all done we started using hair gel on a regular basis..thankfully have not crossed that bridge again...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Vinegar will disolve the nits (eggs). I don't know so much about a natural remedy to get rid of them though. I used to...but can't remember it. We've used the lice shampoo before. It sucks but it works. Don't forget to treat anything in your home that is made out of fabric (couches, easy chairs, rugs, mattresses, pillows, etc). Might want to see about treating pets too. Those little buggers hide everywhere!

Tea Tree Oil will prevent them though. Just put it in your shampoo.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 9:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• so i have heard alot about tea tree oil where do you find it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• You can find tea tree oil at Walmart or drugstores in the vitamin section.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Nix is Over the Counter. It kills them but you still have to do alot of nit picking!
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 11:27 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Two years ago it was going around really bad at my kids school oddly the only one in my house to get it was my oldest daughter she missed a total of 2 months of school. I used RIT to get rid of the lice but you also have to do all the blankets and pillows ans stuffed toys the child comes in contact with. And there are sprays for mattresses and furniture. I had a nurse from the health department come to my house it was free and she helped to show me exactly what to do. GOOD LUCK
    sjdchbkr

Answer by sjdchbkr at 12:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Please don't tell us you delayed going to your local pharmacist for the solution by asking this question on CafeMom!
    Bevner

Answer by Bevner at 2:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• we have the problem of my husband's ex sending my stepdaughter with them every summer when we get her. after treating everything and everyone in the house 3 times last year with the shampoos and stuff, i was asking around to see if anyone knew anything different that actually worked. my brother-in-law suggested flee shampoo...out of desperation, we tried it. and believe it or not, it worked wonders!
    Anonymous

• to Bevner: sometimes moms check on here for the best products to find before spending time and money on something that doesn't work. This isn't my post, but I have dealt with it before and a friend recently spent $200 on stuff for her child's lice problem. She is probably just searching for what works best.
    momof5bs

Answer by momof5bs at 8:36 AM on Jul. 8, 2008