Sewing -- Fabric

Do any of you moms or grandmoms still sew.
I would like to make some outfits for my granddaughter.
Do you use the knits or are there some of you that use woven fabrics?
If you use knits, do you use a serger or do you use a traditional sewing machine?

Most things it is cheaper to buy ready made than to make them myself, but some of the real unusual and stylish outfits for little girls are so high priced.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 8:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I've always sewn...since I was a child. I make clothes for myself and for my teens.

I usually use woven fabrics; but when I use knits, I use a tiny zig-zag stitch to allow a little stretch so the seams won't break. I'll then trim the seam allowance to about 1/4" and do a wide zig-zag over the raw edge, so it gives the anti-fray protection of a serger. (I do have a serger, but I only have white thread in it, and it's too much hassle to change the thread.) I almost always get the fabric on sale or with a coupon. Sometimes I go into SF and buy left over fabric from the clothing manufacturer warehouses -- super cheap, unusual prints (that will show up in their next season's ready-to-wear.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 5:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My mom sews and made a quilt for me out of the knit and used her regular machine, she doesn't have a serger. The quilt is great, super heavy and hubby loves that. But, knit doesn't make good kid clothes, for that I would go with cotton.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• When my boys were small I made tshirts out of knits. Everything else poly/cotton or cotton. For some dressy things for me I've used brushed or slubbed silks, rayons. I made a suit out of a great wool I got once. I have a serger now, but I didn't when my kids were small. You can do it either way. A serger has advatages esp. with knits.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I most often use woven fabrics. Knits tend to stretch so you need to make sure you are using an appropriate stitch on your machine to prevent stretching as you sew. If you are able to get the fabric and patterns on sale, you can make some great stuff for cheaper than you can buy it. Other items are just more economical to purchase ready made. It all depends on what you are looking for, if it is available, and where your cost savings are.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 5:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2011