Toddler starting to use some potty words

My dd is using bad language sometimes when she is angry and I understand her anger. Should I take an easy approach or harsh approach when she uses these words?
This is my first child and I am not sure which approach would be more effective in the long run.

Aries46845

Asked by Aries46845 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think if you start with the easy approach, something like explaining to her why she can't say these words and letting her know if you hear her say them again she is going to get in trouble that might work. I am not one for harsh approaches, so for me I would not do that. Also if she is hearing them around the house then she might think there is nothing wrong with saying them.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• DS,2, started saying sh*t, so we started telling him,"No Potty Words" and gave him the word RATS! to replace it. I would try giving her words to express her anger that are acceptable. He will now say his potty word when he wants attention, so I tell him that potty words make me sad and hurt my ears. If he continues I totally ignore him, but put him in his room until he stops. Good luck!
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 9:17 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Ignoring works wonders... Most of them do it... and most of them grow out of it.. It's a stage.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 10:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I guess my 1st question would be...where is she hearing it to even know what those kind of words are in the 1st place? The "source" needs to be talke to & needs to quit using the language around your DD. No matter what you try to do to stop DD from doing it, it won't stop if the "source" doesn't stop.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:40 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• We dont use bad laungage in our house or ever. my husband and I dont cuss or watch movies or shows with cussing in them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jan. 11, 2011