No question....

Aspiring politician Christina-Taylor Green was born in the midst of tragedy on Sept. 11, 2001, and died Saturday morning while trying to meet Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.

The strong-willed 9-year-old third-grader had gone to meet Giffords with a neighbor when she was shot. She died later at University Medical Center.

Her neighbor was shot four times and was recovering from surgery Saturday evening.

Christina-Taylor had just been elected to the student council at Mesa Verde Elementary School and had been interested in politics from a young age, her father, John Green, said Saturday night.

"She was a good speaker. I could have easily seen her as a politician," her father said.

The brown-eyed athletic girl had one sibling, an 11-year-old brother named Dallas, and the two loved to go swimming together.

She'd already told her parents she wanted to attend Penn State one day and have a career that involved helping those less fortunate than her.

She also loved animals and was a passionate dancer who loved ballet, hip-hop, jazz and gymnastics and was the only girl on her Canyon del Oro Little League baseball team, "The Pirates." She played second base.

Christina-Taylor came from a family of baseball players. Her grandfather, former major-league pitcher Dallas Green, was team manager for the Philadelphia Phillies when they won the World Series in 1980.

"She kept up with everyone, she was a strong girl, a very good athlete and a strong swimmer," said her mother, Roxanna Green. "She was interested in everything. She got a guitar for Christmas so her next thing was learning to play guitar."

Christina-Taylor also enjoyed singing in a church choir at St. Odilia's Catholic Church, where she had received her first Holy Communion in the spring.

"'Let the children come to me,' Jesus said (Matthew 19:14). Christina is with Him," Roman Catholic Diocese of Tucson Bishop Gerald F. Kicanas wrote in a letter to parishioners sent from Jordan, where he is attending a bishops' meeting.

Already aware of inequalities in the world around her, Christina-Taylor often repeated the same phrase to her mother: "We are so blessed. We have the best life."

Her birth date no doubt helped inspire Christina-Taylor's interest in politics, Roxanna Green said. She was one of 50 9/11 babies featured in a book called "Faces of Hope."

"She was born back east and Sept. 11 affected everyone there, and Christina-Taylor was always very aware of it. She was very patriotic and wearing red, white and blue was really special to her," her mother said.

"She was all about helping people, and being involved. It's so tragic. She went to learn today and then someone with so much hatred in their heart took the lives of innocent people."

TARARENEE

Asked by TARARENEE at 9:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I hope that SOB that killed her gets put to death. Mental illness or not that sick bastard deserves to die.
    That poor family, I wish them well.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I know. It's so sad and unfair.
    TARARENEE

Comment by TARARENEE (original poster) at 9:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• The Fox News interviews with the parents were poignant and revealing about how their faith has helped them cope with this unthinkable horror. As the mother said, God must need her.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 9:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• That is such tragedy. Any life taken in such a violent way is horrific. That it was a child who showed such promise. . . it just makes it all the worse. Unfortunately, there really isn't an appropriate punishment for the man responsible. Nothing we do to him will bring her or the other victims back. That said, I hope he suffers at least as much as the families are suffering. No kid gloves for that man. . .

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• If this isn't a question and more sharing of a story, then it shouldn't be in Answers; it should go in Journals, where it can also be voted up in the Popular Journals.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:37 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I have been wondering when we would get past politics, and remember how important this little girl was. I am crying over the article written by TARARENEE. Thank you for this. All I have heard about is the Congress woman, and do not get me wrong, she is important also, but A. SHE IS ALIVE, and B. The child is not. I believe more respect for this child is in order. I know, I will probably get bashed. Guess what, I do not care. I am 69, a Grandma, and Great Grandma, and I love the possibilities that a child has, and this childs possibilities are snuffed forever.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 1:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I'm guilty of bringing up politics too. And I'm ashamed of myself for it. When I read this, I had to share it.
    TARARENEE

Comment by TARARENEE (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

Answer by _Tam_

I thought people should see another side of the tragedy.
    TARARENEE

Comment by TARARENEE (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• "I thought people should see another side of the tragedy." I so agree TARARENEE. You made this little child come to life for a moment. You gave her the respect she so deserves.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 2:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• thanks for sharing - so sad - maybe this can help to change laws on the insanity plea....
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2011