what would you say to your daughter(12) if she came home and sayed her 2 best friends (who are girls) are dating

momof4sweetones

Asked by momof4sweetones at 8:42 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I agree with Progenitor - I would take this an opportunity to talk about relationships. Personally, if this were my child, I would not have a problem with people of the same sex dating. So it is more about relationships and dating than the fact it is about two people of the same sex dating. But since this is not the usual in elementary and middle school I would ask my child how she feels about it. I would also ask her how she plans to handle situations where she may have people tease her friends. Also when your two best friends are dating they tend to leave you out and forget about you for awhile. So we would talk about how it makes you feel when your friends have crushes or date and just drop you for awhile. I would also feel proud that my daughter talks to me about what is going on in her world. Kudos for you! How cool she tells you what is up in her universe rather than say, "fine" when you ask about her day.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:34 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Nothing. What is there to say? If they're happy, then be happy for them. That is what a real friend would do, IMO.

LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:43 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I would probably ask my daughter how it makes her feel and what does she think of the situation. I would just talk with her about it and let her know that if she has any questions...I'm there for her.
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 8:56 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I would not really think anything of it. I would talk to her about the dating and see what she thinks. My son is 12 and his best friend has a girl friend. They see each other at school and talk on the phone, they also go tot he dances together.

At this age I think it is more about the idea then really going on dates. I think that as long as you talk to your DD you should be okay.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:57 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• ya know what my daughter was doing that at like she'd come home and tell her brother that she was going out with this boy or that boy and i would say going out well where is he taking you where are you going out too and how is he picking you up on his big wheel its kids these days i really wouldnt get too up set
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:09 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Are the 2 girls dating each other? Or dating boys? I think that 12 is too young to date period, but that's up to each individual parent. However in the situation where they may be dating each other....I'd have to limit my child's interactions with those children. I am not a homophobe but I think that exposure at such a young age can be highly influencing and would not want my child exposed to it. Now if she gets to be 18 and says hey guess what, I'm gay...that's different because she'll have a little more maturity and independence at that point.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 9:29 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• yes the girls are dating each other my responce to her was if thats what they wanted to do that was fine but not to expect them to be invited over for a sleep over anytime soon i myself am bi and dont have a problem with the situation but i do feel that my daughter is too young to be expose to any of that she nor any of my children know my lifestyle choices and im not ready to tell them just yet
    momof4sweetones

Answer by momof4sweetones at 9:47 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I would use it as an opportunity to talk about relationships with my daughter.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 5:10 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Kimebs, sorry to have to break the news, but yes you are a homophobe.

As for the OP, I wouldn't say much at all about it. My son is 12 and knows some people are gay and some people are straight and that's pretty much all there is to say about it.
    surobb

Answer by surobb at 10:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2008