Baby won't take formula

After 8 1/2 months, I am desperate to wean my baby from breast milk (going back to work, going on a long trip) but he isn't liking the formula. Sometimes he will drink only a little of it, other times he will gag and refuse it. I have tried mixing it with pumped breast milk, but he still seems put off and won't drink but a little bit. He has no problem drinking pure breast milk from the bottle, so I know it isn't the bottle's fault. And please don't tell me to pump, because I have pumped a lot already and it hurts, and I want to be done. Any tips for getting him to accept formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• i would try just adding an oz of formula and mix with breast milk and then had another oz each week until he takes the full formula! good luck! i EP so yes pumping sucks! lol!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Actually Leanne it depends where you live and the hospital i live near who I know numerous nurses who work out of and the women who give birth there try breastfeding for a few days if that so yea..... I breastfed for over 13 months and would of gone longer if my son didnt self wean due to me working so much and used to bottles and sippy cups so don't give me lip.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Try a different brand maybe??

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Try different formulas because some of them taste damn nasty compared to others just keep trying till he accepts, none taste as good as breastmilk. Also try like mostly breastmilk and a small amount of formula and slowly add more and more. I both breast and formula fed my son but he wasnt so picky. You can at least partially breastfeed him even if you go to work and do not pump anymore I retired the pump at about 10 months and did this but he still nursed 2-3 times a day till 13 months. Your supply will adjust believe it or not after breastfeeding for so long its not all that easy to just dry up that quick lol.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 9:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• What ratio did you try more breast milk then formula? With the older ones this is what I had to do but it was mostly breast milk hardly any formula then slowly making it more and more.

The other thing is if you are trying to give it to him that might part of your problem have other people give it to him and try to not even be in sight he knows you have the breast milk! Thats what worked for me anyway.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Have you tasted breast milk and formula? BM tastes sweet. Formula tastes like... well.... crap. With that in mind, it will take some time for your baby to not mind the taste as much. The first response said to add a little bit at a time. For my DS, I added 1/2 ounce to a 3 oz bottle. Then slowly added more until the bottle was 100% formula. Also, you shouldn't be the one giving him the formula, if you are there, he is going to want BM. Or, you could stick it out for another 3 months and switch to milk then, skipping formula altogether. Pumping does stink. I did it for a year for each of my kids because I worked full time from the time they were about 2 months old. Whatever you decide.. goood luck!!
    kmstockwell

Answer by kmstockwell at 9:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Not all taste like crap. Try the organic brands they taste better. Enfamil was gross used it once and never again.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Have you tasted formula?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Try another kind... They all taste differently... (For adults it is an equal taste of horrid...), but for babies, it can be quite different to just switch to a different kind.. like from soy to milk. And at 8.5 months since your child is eating solids now.. it's not as huge of a deal if they don't take that much of it.. Just make sure they get rice cereal mixed into the solids for nutrients and you give them liquids of some form or another like water.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 10:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• have you tried different formulas?
    Destins_Mommy

Answer by Destins_Mommy at 10:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2011