daycare cost question....

I currently have an 18 mo old and she is with a.sittter. I take her there daily. I pay $40 a day and.provide.all food, drinks, etc.

I am expecting twin boys and will need daycare for allow three in Sept. Boys will be about 6 mo and my dd 2 1/2. How much is average to pay? My babysitter quoted me at 500 a week and she will also have two other kids.... totalling 5 kids

Would a daycare center.be a more affordable option??? How much do u ppay for a babysitter? Or a nanny?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• You might want to try calling different daycare centers to see what they would charge. Many times they give you discounts for having more than one child enrolled. Plus you'll get a better idea of cost for the area you live in.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• i was quoted in nevada at 250 a week for 2 kids. not sure what it would be here in chicago. my babysitter is a friend of the family and she charges 15 dollars a day for my 3 yr old and 2yr old. i send snacks and drinks, whatever they need.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 9:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• For $500 a week, you should be able to hire a person to come into the home and care for the children and do minor housekeeping, etc.
    I do not know where you live that will make a difference. Having someone come to your house will be such a help. Because you will not have to get three kids out of the house every morning. It should take at least an hour off your time out of the home. That is a tremendous savings.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• i have no formal training in anything, and there for would not draw much of a salary. daycare would cost more than i would make! 500 seems about right, but a total of 5 kids, 2 young ones at that, seems like an awful lot for one person to handle!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 10:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• depends on your cost of living. here, for a full day for both my kids it's about 420 a week...with the discount of the sibling.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• That seems really high to me. When I was using an inhome daycare place backin October it was 60 a day for 3 kids. I would look into getting someone to come to your house and watch them. You could try calling your local college and see if they have someone who would be willing to do it (a student) for a reasonable rate.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 10:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• It depends on where you live. Where I live in NJ, 500 a week for 3 kids would be a great deal! Also, in NJ, the ratio for kids under 18 months is 1 adult to 4 children. How old are the other 2 children going to be?
    kmstockwell

Answer by kmstockwell at 10:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• It really depends on the area. In my area the average cost for daycare is $20-25 dollars a day. You may want to call around in you area to find out about the cost of daycares and take a tour of a few. However, if your current provider is really good then you pay want to consider keeping them there even if it does cost more.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• itzmyzoo...that's why i work at the daycare my kids go to. i get the 50% discount for both kids, and i actually see money, and my kids. it's not much, but it's enough to pay groceries and gas, 2 less things that come out of DH's checks
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Are the other 2 her own kids? If not, at least in our state it is illegal to have more than 4 kids at a time without being licensed as an in-home day care. As far as costs go, I'd say $500/week is actually pretty low pay for taking care of 3 extra kids... I can get that much for taking care of 1. Day cares are definitely the cheaper route..., but you lose the one-on-one attention. It really depends on what you're looking for in importance. Do some research and find out what's out there and then make your decision.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 10:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2011