Peanut Allergies in Schools

another question made me wonder.

Does your school have a table for those kids?

Are you allowed to pack peanut butter for your kids?

My DD school has a table for the kids who have peanut allergy just wondering what other schools are doing.

Charis76

Asked by Charis76 at 10:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in

• At my kids school we have a table that is peanut free. My girlfriend's kids go to a school where peanuts are not allowed at all. You can not pack any type of peanut from sandwiches to peanuts as a snack or with crackers, they are a peanut free school.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My son's school is a peanut free school.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• The elementary where our kids went before we started homeschooling was a peanut free school, the child who had the allergy was not isolated, all students were prohibited from bringing any nut product to school. We even had to stop doing popcorn for movies because that was on the list of possible allergy foods (and the child with the allergy was at the other end of the building than my daughter's classroom).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• my sons school has a separate table...although I wish they would be peanut free, especially since there are several children with nut allergies in his school. i do not send peanu tbutter to school with him...we use the safe schools soybutter instead even though the school allows peanuts. But i have reasoning since my daughter has a severe nut allergy..she is not in school yet but her preschool that she will be attending in the fall is nut free.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:29 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• We are not a nut free school. I get irritated hat so much attention is focused on one allergy. My GS is allergic to gluten. No matter how many times I've written it down and told teachers every time I turn around someone is sending cupcakes or cookies to school for a birthday. Several times he has eaten them and of course became quite sick. Twice needing to be hospitalized. Allergies across the board need to be recognized as a high priority. 2 yrs ago on 'Cultural Day" my granddaughter was given shrimp. She was transported via ambulance in allergic shock. It was listed, everyone was supposed to know...but it still happened. When kids are 5 and 6 they don't always remember...and they just want to be like the other kids. I would certainly agre to a nut free school. I would also love to stop food from home for the class..period.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• we don't have a peanut free table that i know of. peanut products are still allowed in cold lunches brought from home, but not in classroom parties or snacks. they also limit a lot of other things in the classroom like dyes in foods, any tree nut products, and some other things i can't remember. the kids are not suppose to share, trade, or eat from anyone else's lunch.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 12:42 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Not sure, my son is in high school and I am pretty sure it is up to the almost adults to monitor their own food intake.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2011