Bed Problems

Recently my 2 year old daughter has been crying whenever we put her down for bed. Every 15 minutes or so my husband or I will go and put her back to bed and tell her we love her and its night night time. Well our upstairs neighbor (we live in an apartment) has started calling the cops, office, and other neighbors about our daughter crying. She said that we are neglecting our child and she's concerned for her welfare. I have no clue what to do about this whole thing. I cant let my daughter fall asleep on the couch night after night. Any suggestions about what I should do??

KrazyKutie

Asked by KrazyKutie at 10:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh my goodness! That is terrible of your neighbor to do that. Have you talked with him/her? FYI, nothing to worry about these types of issues are the least of the police or CPS' concerns. Keep doing what you're doing, its the right thing to do. Reading before bed is great, but if the child requires the "reader" to be mommy then that kind of puts you in a bad place if you ever need to be gone around bedtime! I would switch off with other people reading to her to be sure that isn't established.
    Megs00835

Answer by Megs00835 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Well apparently they were perfect little angels with perfect parents when they were younger... (smirk)....... I definitely feel for you. Good luck!
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 10:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• go to the police office, introduce yourself to everyone on the force, tell them about your problem, so when they get the call about the crying, they'll be like "oh it's just her neighbor freaking out again, nothing really to worry about"

lol in all honesty, i'm not really sure. sorry :(
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• lol thanks :P I wish it were that easy. We've already talked to our office about it and they said they'd think of something to do. And the cops that were called out the first time looked pretty confused as to why they were even called to our place to begin with when they saw our daughter was fine and wasn't being beaten like the neighbor had said
    KrazyKutie

Comment by KrazyKutie (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Wow! Your neighbor needs to get a clue!! Kids cry.. it has nothing to do with "neglect!" Can you talk to your manager about her so she can hear it from someone else... Either that or look for a new place.... I'm really sorry you have to deal with this. She obviously has no clue about children.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 10:16 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Thanks momofonelilguy. The thing is she has 3 children! 12 year old twins and a daughter who just graduated. ugh its getting so annoying lol.
    KrazyKutie

Comment by KrazyKutie (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Tell your neighbor to shove it. :]
    In all seriousness, it's not an issue if there is no neglect or abuse going on. Authorities will see that, and leave it alone. Don't worry about it.
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 10:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• i read to mine. it really was the only thing that got my girls to sleep. find about five short to med long books and ten minutes before bed time start reading to her. i know it may sound strange, but go and buy her a small dreamcatcher for her room. she could be having some bad dreams and thats why she doesn't want to sleep. i hope these ideas help. like i said this is what i do for my three girls and my youngest just turned four and she still wants a bedtime story to help her fall asleep.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Thanks ladies! I'll definately try reading to her before bed time. Also I'll look into a dream catcher. That could help! I'm going to talk to the office today about what I can do or see if they can do something about the neighbor. Thanks again!
    KrazyKutie

Comment by KrazyKutie (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Jan. 10, 2011