Is This Normal For A 12 year Old?

My daughter has no social life outside of schoolShe e goes over to her friends house and she never has friends over.She occasionally calls her best friend.But thats the only social interaction she gets outside of school.And when shes not at school,shes watching T.V or on the computer.When you were this age were you out with your friends or did you just stay by yourself?

KimKards

Asked by KimKards at 10:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• When I was that age not many of my friends had computers we all had just ourselves to socialize with. So we hung out and went places. But my DD is 13 tomorrow, and she does most of her socializing on the computer. She make a phone call occassionally when she runs into some computer issues and needs help from her friends, then it is right back onto the computer to talk with those same friends.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 10:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My 11 year old does a lot of online socializing. She sees friends at afterschool activities, but doesn't spend a lot of time on the phone.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:21 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Stayed by myself. School was my social life. Once I was home I didn't go out much. I had one great friend. Sometimes I'd go to her house bu that was about it

Answer by admckenzie at 10:22 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• When I was that age I always hung out with my friends and had my friends over.
    BraydinsMommy09

Answer by BraydinsMommy09 at 10:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I was at home,too. No computers then ,but my parents felt comfortable having me home. I usually was reading,watching TV with the family or doing my homework.I didn't socialize much until I went away to college. At least I didn't get in trouble! :-)
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Starting in middle school and all the way up through high school I didn't have a social life either. I went to school, came home, and stayed in doing my homework or watching TV. That was it.
    Anonymous

• Yes. When my daughter was in high school, we lived across the street from a guy she was friends with. Instead of walking outside and talking, they chatted on the computer... Go figure! I had one child that couldn't stop socializing and one that didn't at all. They both turned out just fine!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:26 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• The middle school years are some of the toughest. It is my personal opinion they are the hardest for peer presure and peer isolation. Computer socialization should be very closely monitored. It is the new trend to begin bullying other students off campus..and online. I personally did not socialize much at that age but it was mostly due to the very dysfunctional family I grew up in. As long as she doesn't totally isolate herself or isn't depressed I would just keep an eye on her. Hormones are raging and bodies are changing. It's a generally tough time. One of my sons never socialized except with his best friend at this age. Another son acted like the phone had been implanted in his ear.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I was a loner... I didn't like anyone I went to school with... I didn't meet my best friend until I was 13 and then she moved away when I was 15 so I was back to being a loner again until college. Just be loving towards her and get her involved in activities outside of school IF she wants to and IF she shows interest in it.... otherwise, it is okay to be a loner as long as she isn't actually depressed... then you might need to inquire with her to find out why she feels like she doesn't fit in.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 10:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• That's common. It's good that she does have a good friend and she does go over to friend's houses. She as well is getting the social interaction she needs through school, which is important. If she is thriving as a healthy and social (even if limited) teenager then she's fine. If you're seeing it being detremental to her well being then try to get her into social activities outside of school.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2011