Calories and BMR

Ok so I joined this healthy weight loss group and someone said something about not going under your BMR otherwise you wont loose any weight

I've been dieting for almost 2 months now and since I'm getting really close to my goal weight my calorie intake is a lot less than my BMR. So i'm worried that I should up my calorie intake and just try to kill it at the gym???

My DH is coming home from a deployment and we're going to Vegas shortly after so I wanna look my best and i'm trying so hard to do everything the right way and the most effective way

Parkers_Mommy8

Asked by Parkers_Mommy8 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• You need to up your calories or your body will go into starvation mode. Once you go into starvation mode, your body begins to store fat and burn muscle.
    As you lose weight and get closer to your goal weight, your BMR is going to decrease. You need to stay above it. It is possible to still lose weight with a low BMR. Mine is 1279 and to lose 1 lb per week, I have to consume between 1279 and 1479 calories daily.

The correct way to calculate how many calories you should consume to lose weight is to find out your BMR, then your daily caloric needs and then decrease that by 500. That is the range you should follow.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:47 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• What is your daily calorie intake? Also, have you hit a plateau? If you are losing weight with what you are doing, then I would keep doing. If you have hit a plateau, then you may not be getting enough calories or you may need to change up your routine.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• what is bmr?
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• BMR is your basal metabolic rate... basically what your body does on its own if you ate in bed and never got up
    Parkers_Mommy8

Comment by Parkers_Mommy8 (original poster) at 12:00 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Mcginnisc is a smart woman *nod*
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 11:44 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• i agree with mcginnisc... lol!
    asil

Answer by asil at 2:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Agree with mcginnisc.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• You don't want your body to go into starvation mode cause it eats away at your muscles
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:10 AM on Jan. 11, 2011