what can i do my 2 year old son has nightmares and wakes up crying everynight

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try to start a routine for him, like bath time, pajama time, and then books. tell him you love him and good night. routines tend to help night terrors
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• i wish i could help you out but my son is 2 and i'm dealing with the same thing. it's not every night but it's pretty close to every night. right now i'm monitoring everything he watches when the TV is on and if he is awake i won't let my hubby play most of his video games because they too violent for a 2 year old to see. I'm careful with what bedtime stories are read to him. I also got him a brighter night light. i've noticed that he isn't waking up every night screaming but i'm still getting those nights. good luck
    Justins_mommy05

Answer by Justins_mommy05 at 11:08 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• get him a dreamcatcher. people don't think they work, but i know they do. each of my girls want one for their rooms. my six year old won't sleep in her room until i got her one.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 11:08 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• You'll think I'm crazy but this is what I did and it worked. I prayed over my kids before bed and surrounded them with the white light of the holy spirit. "
    Anonymous

• Great ideas girls! Haven't had to deal with this at all, good to see some nice suggestions before its my turn!
    Megs00835

Answer by Megs00835 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• we bought a house and understand but my son age 5 had nightmares so my lil man and i rearranged his room. i let him decided were he wanted things to go..bed toybox his playrug everything. he did a good job and so far he hasent had any nightmares as he put it...it worked mama! :) i did sit him down first he told me about his dream and i said u know what will make the dreams go away. how bout we move your stuff around were do u want it to go. idk maybe something to try best of luck mama. also with my dd when she was lil ( shes 13 now ) but when she had trouble sleeping i gave her a small vial of glitter or "pixie magic" dust to keep hidden in her room she liked it under her pillow so she knew it was close ( u can use anysize plastic holder and just put the glitter in in. like a clear box so they can see it sparkle ) also if its monsters u sprinkle some "magic dust" around the area..like closet doors, window sils under bed. :)
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• my son did the same thing when he was around a year and a half old till about two years old and Someone told me to have him take a nap of the day bc he may be to tired to get a good nights sleep. and it seemed to work for us. good luck I know its hard to see them crying and scared
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• i've dealt with this for several years. the routine thing works great. but make sure the last 30 minutes of the routine is something like reading. no tv, no electronic anything, or over-stimulating things. our brains need to slow down before our sleep. if we are electronically or over-stimulated, our brains continue to be "on" for a half hour, even if asleep, thus causing waking, confusion, crying, sleep walking. This was the suggestion and explanation of a freind of mine who is a pediatrition and sleep specialist. and all the above suggestions are great too. my son, 8, still likes the night light too. pitch dark is frightening for kids i think.
    good luck, hope you all sleep well soon!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 12:01 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• i agree wit Anonomous an Meg..i had to do the dream catcher..an the prayer 2 god..i have the nite lite as back up..so i can check on them..
    whenever my kids wake up scared i tell them 2 say a prayer 2 god to surround them wit the white lite of protection an it works well...gl
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 12:46 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I have a 2 and a half year old girl who use to go to sleep no problem. She would asked to be tucked in but now she is terrified to go to bed. I have tried to talk to her to see if she could show me what is scarring her but she then says she has a belly ache, then tries to physically get sick. I don't know what to do but will try some of these, especially the fairy dust, she is totally into Tinkerbell.
    MicheleM261

Answer by MicheleM261 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 11, 2011