Have you ever vacationed to Europe?

I would like to some day. I am saving for my family to visit Italy for a month. I just want to hear about people's experiences and advice for a trip like this.

vjoaquin

Asked by vjoaquin at 11:25 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Travel

• We backpacked around Europe on our Honeymoon. It was wonderful. I'm not sure what advice to give you. Your trip sounds totally different then what we did.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 11:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I used to live there when I was growing up. We were in England for 2 years, then Germany for 4 years before moving back State side when i was 16. I've been to Scottland, Fance, Italy,Spain, Netherlands, Luxumborg, and even Ghana (West Africa) just to name a few. I LOVED it there and would go back in a heart beat. WHat do you want to know?
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 11:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I lived in Germany for 3 years and while we were there we did weekend trips and traveled by train quite a bit. I did visit Italy for a weekend. I loved it and wished I could have stayed longer. My advice about Italy is that it is VERY expensive. I would say save up about three times a much as you would save for a vacation here in the states.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:29 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Anything! The best towns to visit, the best shops (lol) anything to be warned aout. Just anything and everything lol
    vjoaquin

Comment by vjoaquin (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Oh, something else that you need to be aware of is to keep up with your receipts because in shopping areas, grocery stores, etc, there is normally a security guard who will ask you for it when you leave. You can be arrested for shoplifting if you do not have it. There is so much to do and see in Italy. I would make a list of everything that you wanted to do/see and make a plan from there. Allow some time for the big stuff, but also go into some of the smaller villages and explore there.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• One more thing, the driving in Italy is crazy! A one lane road will be turned into a two lane. A two lane will be turned into a four lane, etc. I would honestly relay on trains and taxi cabs to get around if I were you. If you do decide to drive then you will need to get an  International Driver Permit. You can obtain one through AAA. Also, here is a website that gives basic info about driving in Italy.

http://www.lifeinitaly.com/travel/driving.asp

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:40 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Thanks so much JeremysMom especially about the receipt/shoplifting thing I never heard of that before.
    vjoaquin

Comment by vjoaquin (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• When I went to Italy, I went with my Italian neighbor to visit her parents and family. She was the one who told me about this. Not sure if that is something that is all over Italy or just that city, but its better to be safe than sorry.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I went to France and Italy for just over a week when I was a teenager, with EF tours. It was beautiful!! A month long trip sounds awesome!! I hope you and your family enjoy your time over there!
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2011