Should I tell her...

My friend is pregnant with her first, and she keeps talking about how she wants a REALLY UNIQUE name, she talks about how she thinks it would be the worst thing if her child went to school and had other kids in the class with the same name.

But EVERY name she "comes up with" is a very common name such as Ayden, Ava, and Isabelle .... I have friends just on our street with kids with ALL of those names ( ayden and ava are actually twins down the street) ...

She is one of those people who doesnt take "advice" well... but should I try to get through to her and let her know those are NOT UNIQUE NAMES !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think as soon as she said " I like unique names....and here is my list," I just would have said something like "have you seen the top 100 hundred recently ?"

I don't think it is a big deal letting her know those are not unique when she brings it up. I don't see how that would be criticism when you are just helping her out.

I agree Aiden, Jayden, Kayden are way over used here in CA. Same with Isabella, Maddy, McKenzie etc....I remember back when my neighbor named her son Aiden about 9 years ago and we thought it was such a cool unique name. Now I almost cringe hearing yet another newborn named that. LOL The name needs to go in the "vault" for a few years like a Disney movie. Then come back out all new again.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 11:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• sorry, but i'd probably just let her pick whatever she "thinks" is unique and let her figure out the hard way later that they aren't! LOL
    Anonymous

• I might be inclined to say 'yeah, I've been hearing that one a lot lately, it's really popular' if, in fact, it was.

The problem with really unique names, sometimes, is that they mean something -- like Colonica. I always wanted to ask the mom if she'd ever thought of looking it up in a dictionary, but could never figure out how to get the tone of voice straight so it wouldn't sound like the sentence ended in 'you idiot.'
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• LOL sometimes it's just best to let people think they invented the wheel. So what's it gonna hurt when her child goes to school and then she finds 6 other Isabellas in the same class? Nothing because by that time, her child will already be well established in her name and she'll think everyone else was looking to be unique, too.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 11:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I wouldn't say anything, unless she wants to name her kid Cholera or Meconium. If it's something like that, show her what it means. If her daughter will be one of 8 Isabellas in every grade, oh well. There are worse things in life, like being named Meconium.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• let her know that they are nice names just not unique.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 11:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Take her for a walk down your street and conveniently have the kids with those names outside...you then proceed to say hi...so n so...to each child...so you can express how not so unique the names are. Either way, it's still her child, still her vote in the end so not much else you can do. Chances are, if its unique now...it won't be by the time the child goes to school.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 11:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Who really cares. Let her name her kid whatever.
    .....sigh.....
    Is this really such a big deal? I think not..
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I think I 'd just agree with her and make her happy. If it's her baby let her name it esp. if she doesn't take advise very well, she'll figure it out on her. If she asks why you didn't say anything, you can always just say, "Well it was your baby, and you thought it should be her decision."
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• i wouldn't say anything. she'll talk to enough people who will be blunt. If she truely asks for you honest opinion, just tell her it's pretty, but you have heard of it recently.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2011