How to End Nighttime Feeding with Toddler

My 22-month old still wakes 2 or 3 times a night, crying for a "bottle of milk." He won't stop crying until he gets one. Anytime I've tried to just calm him with rocking or whatever, he gets super worked up into tantrum zone. We have always taken the "gentle" approach to sleep training and I hate to make him "cry it out." We've had no luck with this ... but I'm ready to get a full night's sleep and so is my baby, I'm sure! He's not hungry, I think it's just his habit now.

Anyone have suggestions on how to wean him off the nighttime feedings and get back to sleep?

Annie B.

Asked by Annie B. at 11:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• does he cry when he first wakes up? or do you go in there at the first sound? if he's not crying, just leave him be, he may just talk for a little bit and go back to sleep. put a quiet toy in his bed, so when he does get up he can play with that for a little bit and then fall back to sleep. I did the CIO method. at 6 months, both my kids i'd wait about 10-15 minutes before i went in there to get them. i'd do the soothing thing first, then i'd get the bottle. i'd only give them half of what they normally got though. after a week, they were sleeping through the night. and they have been ever since. with the exception of when they were sick. nope, wait...my son went through a week of waking up 2 or 3 times a night when he was about 15 months...but i was due to have dd soon, so i think that was part of it. some cuddling for a few minutes worked, and he'd go right back to bed. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I tried all those gentle approaches and nothing worked but CIO for us. My first two were 16mos apart and my son at 2 woke often for milk and my daughter 1 wanted to BF....i was exhausted. We started my son by going to water some say water down the milk. i never got in the habit of giving my younger two a bottle or sippy cup in bed with anything but water because of my son. that was hard and made me feel so bad for letting him get that habit. You can try also replacing it with something new not sure if that will work though.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• i would decrease the amount of milk every nite. it just he is in the habit of getting milk late at night. or u could also ask his doctor about getting him to sleep all nite
    strongnbrave

Answer by strongnbrave at 12:42 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• my daughter is going threw this process right now i put watered down juice in it and she gets mad and falls asleep watching sponge bob i would put his favortie show and let him cry it out good luck
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 5:50 AM on Jan. 10, 2011