How do you part with items you don't NEED if you think like this?

I think I have hoarder mentalities. I have FOUR kids, but since I'm not "fixed" I have a hard time parting with the maternity clothes. Took me a while to get rid of the crib and accessories too, but I did get rid of SOME. Going through marital issues, I lost 30 lbs. So I have jeans that are size 14-18 just sitting around...don't know if I'll ever be that size again...don't WANT to be that size again, but to part with them...I'm having a hard time...because eventually...new things take money that I might not have in the future.

How do YOU part with items that you don't need NOW, but might need in the future?

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 11:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Health

• I'm totally like that.
    I find that limiting myself to a certain number helps. For example....you mentioned all your large jeans...just keep a few instead of ALL of them lol
    Baby clothes are so hard on me. My first was a girl, then I had three boys after that. After number 4 I knew we weren't going to have anymore kids....I literally cried going through my DD's clothes. I kept ALL of them hoping we'd have another girl. It helped me place the clothing with "good homes" haha...Sounds like a pet! But seriously...my friends or people i knew at church were having girls, that's where they'd go!
    I still have one large plastic tub full of most of her clothes up to 12 months. That way if ever we had an unplanned baby girl i'd have those to fall back on, and if not, my daughter has clothes from when she was born!
    msg me if you need some hoarding support! LOL You sound like my lost twin! lol
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 12:04 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Keeping them around means you think you might need them again! Get rid of those fat jeans! Get it out of yoir head that you will ever be that size again! When it comes to the baby stuff, are you planning to have more? Are you using birth control to prevent more? If so, then you can either find a nice family on freecycle that will gladly take it, or donate it to charity. Each piece in your home sucks TIME from your life. Every time you have to touch it or put it away or move it, it sucks time. I'm trying to deal with this with DH, whose mother and grandmother are both hoarders. We aren't having kids for another 3 years, but he wants to hold onto EVERYTHING. Our kids will be 6 years apart, and may not even be the same gender!! I held onto a few favorite clothing items, and a couple of big things that were hard to find (like the swing), but almost everything else I'm still making him part with.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:03 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• two thoughts 1. if you worry you may not have money for the future, and not part with things, you may not be opeing yourself up to new possibilities, and 2. think of it as you are passing on your things to people who need it more than you do, and in the future, the things you may need will be there for you (sell or donate to second hand store, or find a charity to donate to)
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 12:06 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• ooo i hate clutter so I just give them away quite easily! Most the time that works out fine till a few year ago when I gave away all the baby items and baby clothes just as I gave the last item away when the youngest was 2 ifound out i was pregnant! We had to start all over...ugh LOL But after 3 I am really done NOW....LOL
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I tell myself there is someone who needs these items now. It makes it a lot easier to donate and I feel good about it :)
    JessicaB86

Answer by JessicaB86 at 12:04 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• 1. I expect there to be a thriving thriftstore/2nd hand/hand-me-down market to exist, especially if the economic times are so hard that I won't have money then
    2. I know I can make maternity clothes --it's not rocket science, I happen to know
    3. I love, in fact, I revel in the fact that I have people in my life who make it so I can rely on the kindness of others
    4. I know that if I have no room in my life for new things, cause I'm holding on too tightly to old things, I can't get new things in
    5. I have never yet regretted dumping, donating, giving away or selling anything --I like the flow of things, in out, in out... lends natural variety to life
    6. None of my 'stuff' is me --and it's not anyone else, either --no matter who gave it to me, or under what circumstances, I can be grateful for ever having it without having to always have it...

Let it go, man... just let it go...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:25 AM on Jan. 10, 2011