What are the hot new styles for teenage boys and where do you shop for them?

I have a teenage boy, age 14, heading to high school. He wants to be in style, hip, cool, with it..lol whatever the word is for it now.

Alamama

Asked by Alamama at 9:12 AM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Of course this will be according to what your son actually likes. There is a skater style, hip-hop style, goth style, preppy style. All of these are 'in' in their particular groups. I used to work in JCPenny and they were pretty 'up' on the latest styles. They are all located in the young mens section.
    handsomebabyj

Answer by handsomebabyj at 10:09 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• He might like plaid shorts, those are being worn alot. Try to get solid t-shirts but stay away from loud colors. I just beg you not to buy him any skinny jeans. Men out here wear them and I don't understand why. lol
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 10:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• OM MY GOSH MY SON IS 14 HEADING TO HIGH SCHOOL THIS YEAR ALSO I AM DREADING TAKING HIM SHOPPING BUT HES INTO THE CARGO SHORTS,AND PANTS ALSO THE POLO SHIRTS,AND LOTS OF WEIRD T SHIRTS AND WHITE TENNIS SHOES, & BOOTY SOCKS,,BIG THING HERE IN OUR TOWN I SEE ALOT OF THE BOYS DRESSED THIS WAY
    island_barb-200

Answer by island_barb-200 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• yeah its all going to depend on his style what he is into etc, are you planning on taking him with you to shop?
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Yes I am planning to take him with me to shop. I know the big thing here last year was brand names like Hollister, Abercrombie..was just wandering is that still the in thing? Anyone heard of Rue 21?
    Alamama

Answer by Alamama at 2:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• really just what he likes. i take my son and he hates those plaid shorts. i love them but really he is the one who will wear the close in the end. i want him to be hip and all that but i dont say much cause i dont want him to feel presured to be something he is not. hes cool in his own little way and when we do go shopping id have to say what he picks out ends up being pretty cool. i do tell him the "donts" though like if he wanted the skinny jeans id be like " oh no honey"
    sweetpea196

Answer by sweetpea196 at 12:40 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• As previous mothers mentioned it all depends on which group he runs with. In my area brand names are way out, only the preppy set wears them. Most stores at the malls will be pretty up to date. Let him try many different looks to see which "fits" him best. Don't shop in the boys department, those clothes will not be in style for high schoolers. Shop in mens or young mens. And don't try to force him into looks you like or rule out looks you aren't crazy about that won't help him feel confident in his clothes.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• try these stores hollister, abrecrombie and fitch, armani exchange
    Anonymous

• I went shopping today for my younger son. I couldn't resist for buying for my older son above. lol I can always carry them back if they are not to his liking. Got him some Aeropostle, couple of shirts from Hollister (his Birthday presents) and Rue 21 was having a GREAT SALE!! Lots of kids his age running around in there so I figured, he would love it. Thanks everyone for the help!
    Alamama

Answer by Alamama at 4:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Hollister, Abercrombie, and American Eagle. All of which are at the mall.
    knmom

Answer by knmom at 10:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2008