Birth date cut-off for school?

I'm utilizing Google to try and find this answer and I keep getting "page cannot be displayed" messages.

How can I find information on birthday cut-off dates for starting school in Texas? Does it vary with each county? My daughter's birthday is around mid-November; she just turned 4. Can she be 4-years-old and start kindergarten in September 2011 or will she have to wait another year?

I know the School Age Kids category says 5-8, but I wonder if that's how it is all over the states or if it's varied by county.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 12:17 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in

• in alabama you HAVE to be 5 to start kindergarten...my niece's bday is nov 11th and couldn't start until the next year when she was 5, almost 6
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:20 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think you will have to call the school tomorrow and ask. It depends on the state. Here in CO the cut off is Sept 15th.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:20 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Same with my daughter. Keep me posted.
    emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Yeah, your going to have to call and ask. IN my town the cut off is August 1st, but in the town next to us it's Sept 15th... it depends on the school district...

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:26 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• In most of Canada, you have to be registered the year you turn 6 --before the 31 of December. You can (sometimes) talk them into accepting a child earlier, but the law requires registration no later than...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:27 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think the best bet is to call your local school and ask.

If she's too young for K, does your school have a Pre-k program? Many public schools do and it's free.

Good luck!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 12:27 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• im in canada...and as along as the child is 5 before dec 31st they can start kindergarten in september
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:29 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• it depends on district. there is an age limit and cut off date too. call the head district offices for your area and ask what your district is and the guidelines. if you don't know the district office, just google elementary schools closest to your home and call then and ask them for the district phone number. Poicies can change yearly, our just changed for the following school year, making the cut off date for the age limit in the summer rather than the fall now.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 12:39 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Ok I was bored there is nothing on TV and the house is clean

http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/peims/faq/faq.htm

Q: If a student has attended a partial year of Kindergarten in another state, but was not 5 on September 1, is he eligible for Kindergarten in Texas?

A:No. He must be 5 on September 1 to be eligible for Texas public kindergarten. See Section III, General Attendance Requirements, of the Student Attendance Accounting Handbook
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 12:40 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Thanks, Charis! My daughter hasn't attended kindergarten anywhere. She was in daycare/preschool for about a year before we moved to Texas (from Colorado), but I don't think that counts.

I have thought about pre-k, but is pre-k mandatory?
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 2:34 AM on Jan. 10, 2011