Cheerleading

How do you feel about cheerleading? How young is too young? What are the risks? Is it worth it? Did you cheer? Have you coached? What do you love and hate about the sport?

LadybugTash

Asked by LadybugTash at 12:19 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I always wanted to do it as a kid, but my parents didn't have the money. It IS an expensive sport (although they all are anymore). I think it seems like fun, and if your child wants to, go for it. The earliest I've seen is age 5, but things may have changed. I wanted to even then.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:21 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I cheered in Pop Warner...because my mom wanted me to. I hated every minute of it. It's expensive as hell....however, it really was good team building experience and GREAT exercise.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 11:41 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• i never did cheer... but i don't see any issue with it. i have 3 girls and i'm sure at least one will be interested in it at some point. around here the PS don't have cheer until 6th grade, which i think is a fine age to start... their uniforms are age appropriate, as well as their cheers and routines. if i saw something that was questionable, i 'm not afraid to voice my opinion to the coach either...
    i was in dance from 3 - 18... and we did some moves and had some costumes that could have been seen as questionable... and my mom simply voiced her opinion and either they were changed or not... depending on how other parents also felt...
    asil

Answer by asil at 2:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• it's great exercise!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I was cheerleader from the time I was 6 until 17. I loved it. Once I was in junior high, we went to camp and competitions every year. It was very athletic. My body was solid as a rock! My senior year I was chosen as All American and invited to be an ECA cheerleader....unfortunately my juvenile self had other plans. Anyway, if you're going to put your daughter in cheerleading in this day and age, it is a must that she also takes gymnastics.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I was a cheerleader. I loved it. What risks? It's like gymnastics. I coached it too. It was very positive for me.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Awesome workouts!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:08 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• i never did like cheerleading lol
    CandyMama231

Answer by CandyMama231 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I never thought it was anything great. I think it is kind of ridiculous to be honest. But that is just my opinion.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I was a cheerleader and I hope my daughter wants to do it too. It is a great sport and takes a lot of exercise and work to do. I think like any other sport, it is a positive thing!
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2011