Bible Scholars, please help!

My church does this great thing where it asks us follow-up questions to the week's sermon, and preparation questions to next week's. We are studying 2 Peter at the moment, and I have the following question on my worksheet:

The reader is instructed in 2 Peter 1:10 to "make your calling and election sure." What is meant by this command/warning? Why is it important to "make your calling and election sure?"

I have no idea what this means! I looked online and got several different interpretations, but none seem to make sense to me. I would really appreciate a little help here! Thank you!

Holly.

Asked by Holly. at 12:54 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I like what SandyHack said. Also, you have a choice. The choice to appreciate the knowledge God has given us in the bible and accept it's message OR the choice to reject it. Think of Adam and Eve. Where did they cast their vote? They had no reason NOT to believe God, yet they believed the serpent instead.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:29 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think it means that when you make a decision, a request, or a vote towards something, that you make sure you are well-informed and educated on what you are deciding.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 1:34 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I would suggest liking in different bible translations... I will post a few here for you. I find this to help me a lot in understanding what the word is trying to convey.

Therefore, my brothers and sisters,[a] make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, 11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. NIV

10Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble; NASB

10-11 So, friends, confirm God's invitation to you, his choice of you. Don't put it off; do it now. Do this, and you'll have your life on a firm footing, the streets paved and the way wide open into the eternal kingdom of our Master and Savior, Jesus Christ. The MSG

continued...
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• The possession and growth of these qualities will prevent your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ from being ineffectual or unproductive.
    9 But without them, a person is blind or short-sighted, forgetting how the sins of the past were washed away.10 Instead of this, brothers, never allow your choice or calling to waver; then there will be no danger of your stumbling,11 for in this way you will be given the generous gift of entry to the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. New Jerusalem Bible

Because of this, brethren, be all the more solicitous and eager to make sure (to ratify, to strengthen, to make steadfast) your calling and election; for if you do this, you will never stumble or fall. Amplified

These should help.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I agree with sandy and yoif i was you i would get another translation of the holy writ and see what it saids in what you are studying
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• You are welcome :)
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• 2tinyhineys, I think that makes the most sense to me. I really appreciate it.

Thank you as well, Sandy and TinaMarie!
    Holly.

Comment by Holly. (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Jan. 10, 2011