Would this be a good decision?

I have a degree but I can't find any work in my area that pertains to my degree and moving is not an option. I have thought about doing a 5 week course to become a CNA (certified nursing assistant). The pay is about $10-$14 in my area (which is decent for where I live). It's not my life long dream nor is it something that I would want to make a career out of, but I enjoy helping people and I think that it would be something that I would enjoy doing for a year or two (who knows maybe longer) until I can find a job for what I went to school for. My husband is hesitant about it because he doesn't want me to come home complaining about how I hate my job or be tired of it after a year. He wants me to find a job and stay there and retire. He has been at his job for 5 years now and I see where he is coming from but at the same time, it is hard to find work in my area and he does not want me to commute else where. Any advice? What would you do in this situation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• What is your degree in?
    Do you need the money?
    CNA could be a tie over until you achieve your goal job.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:16 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Do it. You can get a small job for a short time until you find what you really want to do. You could also use that to go to nursing school.
    tymma11

Answer by tymma11 at 1:18 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My degree is in Elementary Education and they are laying off teachers instead of hiring them right now. I have a part time job but I will need a full time job when my husband's GI Bill runs out this summer.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:19 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• If you need the money, it sounds like a really good option. Another thought is to find a job volunteering in the area your degree is in. It is a fantastic way to get experience and have people get to know you while you are waiting for a job. It will give you a leg up. Also, maybe consider a job at a place like a school, that doesn't use your degree. But, it will give you advance notice and the inside scoop to anything that might be opening up. You have to start at the bottom to work your way up...so even working as a secretary, or a para, or anything like that, will still give you an advantage.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 1:25 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• You should look into private tutoring centers, day care centers, something related to but not exactly the job you trained for. You will hate your job if it has nothing to do with what you want out of a job. Maybe it's time to think of a longer commute. Oh some schools are moving to online courses, look into that because you can take an opening from anywhere and stay home. Good luck.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 1:35 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I have looked into all of those but they only pay minimum wage if there is even a job opening. I have considered a longer commute but there are no job openings for teachers, paras, etc any where near me. Most of the schools have seriously cut back on a lot of things in my area and the surrounding areas.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:37 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Have you looked into tutoring? Put an ad up online, and then talk to your local library and grocery stores and see if you can put ads up there. You could also talk to teachers and pass out cards offering to tutor.

Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Have you thought about subbing in local schools?
    You can also take the 5 week course as a back up!
    Never hurts to having a second set of skills you can use!
    chrissy

Answer by chrissy at 8:27 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• If you do decide to persue the CNA job, there maybe some temp agnency in your area will allow you to pick and choose what hours/facility you would want to work for, if you are not wanting to make a permanent commitment right away with a company. Another perk for working with an agnency is that you have to chance to work at most of the local facilities wihthin your area and then make a better decision of where you would like to find a fulltime job.

CNA is not a difficult certification to obtain, although you will be doing all the grunt work like lifting, diapering, washing, and cleaning up other messes for the patients.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 8:36 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• CNA is hard work, but its better than nothing. I worked the overnight shift as a CNA while looking for a better job.
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 9:17 AM on Jan. 10, 2011