Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why is this?(Child Support)

Okay,so let's say a non-custodial parent is ordered through the court to pay a certain amount towards back medical bills,along with a certain amount just for child support.Fine,the bills need to be paid,no problem.But here's my question.

The amount paid for the back medical bills is monitored,to make sure the non-custodial parent is paying like he/she should.Which again,is fine,because he/she should be doing what is ordered.But,why is it not monitored to see if the custodial parent is actually using the money to pay said medical bills?The CSEA says they have no way to track something like that,but it seems to me,it's not that hard to order the custodial parent to show receipts proving they have paid on the bills.

Please do not turn this into a debate about child support,deadbeat dads,etc.It really is just a question I had & thought I would ask to see if anyone knew the answer.

Answer Question

Asked by m0m23b0ys458 at 9:35 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 3 (24 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • What your talking about is know different then, just child support..Nobody can monitor what the Mom/Dad is doing with the child support..  The person that is paying it just does what he/she is told by the court..


    Answer by louise2 at 9:43 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

  • In our situation, my husband has custody of his daughter and if there is a medical bill that needs to be split we contact her and tell her to pay the dr directly. I send a copy of the bill to her also. We monitor ourselves to make sure the bill is getting paid. I usually call and explain the situation and tell them I will be calling periodically to make sure a payment is being made by her. It has worked out well so far. Now, I have a few that I have paid in full that we will have to try to collect from her which may turn out to be a different story, but maybe it will all work out ok. Hope this helps.

    Answer by RentaMom at 9:47 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

  • They can't really request receipts like that. What if the custodial parent had already paid the bill, but was wanting the NCP to reimburse for a portion? That's money the CP already spent, to pay the bill, so the money now will be used to catch up other bills that they couldn't pay b/c they were paying the med bill. That's just one example. Also, just the simple fact that there are so many orders and judgments that go through, they don't have enough people or time to check up on everyone like that.
    Besides, as a parent, you're supposed to be old enough to do what's right. You shouldn't need someone checking up on you to make sure you do what you're supposed to do.
    **I don't mean you specifically, just you in general.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 10:34 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

  • Because if their not paying the bills then their child will not be able to go to the doctor. Most doctors make you pay up front no matter what the agreement is with the NCP. Who's to say the bills haven't been paid already.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 10:36 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

  • Becaus the bills have to be paid if the custodial pays them and doesnt get the support payment til 3 months later...the money will go to something else...but they already put the money out for the bills..follow?

    Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:42 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

  • Well who is to say the custodial parent has not already paid some of those the money would go to her. If there is court documentation about what bills and how much and a certain amount of time goes by and they are still unpaid then i would take her back to court.

    Answer by salexander at 1:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.