Should a newborn be exclusively breastfed or should be given expressed breast milk(in a feeding bottle) along with the breast feeding so as to make him get used to the both feeding methods?

desire1234

Asked by desire1234 at 1:41 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• We did both so I could sleep through some of the feedings at night.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 1:43 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• 80% bf, but you can get baby to take a bottle so father/siblings can feed too...especially at night, like mrs.coop did. if you're concerned about bf in bottles for daycare, i would wait till 6weeks to introduce the bottle, little one is learning to eat too as it is.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 1:50 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• In the early days it is recommended that babies start out only on one method because like boobarandbell said, they are learning. I was always told to introduce the bottle around 4 weeks because if you wait much longer, they won't accept the second method. However, my third child wouldn't accept a bottle until she was 9 months old! And we did introduce it early! So good luck...you might try what you think works best and then find out baby has his/her own ideas anyway. Don't sweat it -- babies will always surprise you!
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 1:53 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My son was a premi, and they told me to wait on the bottle until he established a consistant good latch and feeding pattern. so he wouldn't get nipple confusion. it only took 2 weeks for him. i'm not sure if this is a concern for full term babies though
    MeganS1985

Answer by MeganS1985 at 4:55 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• We introduced the bottle every other day or so at about two weeks. It was done because dad wanted to do a feeding once in awhile and the grandmoms helped with some babysitting. Both our kids took it with no problem.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:06 AM on Jan. 10, 2011