When is a good time to take away the BINKY??? HELP!!!

Well my DD is 19 Months and still uses a Binky at night & nap times. And My MIL is pushing me to take it away from her. What are your guys Opinions???

NavyMommy0910

Asked by NavyMommy0910 at 2:26 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My opinion is to tell your MIL to mind her own business :)
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 2:35 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• my daughter stopped taking hers at 9 months..i wouldnt of let her have it past 12 months tho..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:37 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• None of my kids would take a pacifier, so I really don't have experience there...but I do have experience with a MIL who always had an opinion ;) My son sucked his thumb, and when he turned 5, everyone had an opinion about when he should quit. We ignored them. We wanted him to quit before his permanent teeth came in and we talked to him about it along the way, and it all worked out. He was 7 when he quit, right before his new teeth came in!

If you feel that its time for her to be done, you can graduate the removal of it...tell her that the binky is now only for bedtime or naps. You could tell her that the binky is only for her room now and if she wants to use it, she needs to use it in her room, and then leave it there when she is done. When my friend wanted her child to quit, they took a scissors and cut the tip so it quit suctioning, and the child gave it up almost right then!
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 2:43 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Well first off you are her parent so you should make the decisions :) personally as soon as they start teething i would stop it. I dont like binky's at all i think it is a bad habbit also thumb sucking, is a big no no. Stop it ASAP before they get too relentless & end up being 4 with a binky in mouth =p... I had a causin that used to suck on a binky until she was 6!! Not a good thing!! the binkys arent even really a necessity to begin with... Hope this helped, whatever you decide for your child will be the right thing for you *:)
    Milani_Hunni

Answer by Milani_Hunni at 2:48 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I never gave my kids a binky, but you are her mother so it is your decision, if you want her to have it then give it too her
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 5:17 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My kids didn't want them but my friend's girls used them until age three or so. They could only have them in their home and never outside the home. They gave them up on their own. It is your decision.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:01 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I pushed the binky when my son was a baby so he wouldn't become a thumb sucker. I always figured it was easier to lose the binky than his thumb. He is 16 months old and only occasionally uses the binky for naps, usually if he's overtired or sick. When I feel I can throw it out, I will. If YOU feel its time, then its time. Don't let your MIL dictate what you do with your child.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 10, 2011