NEED ANSWER FAST HELP ME! out of state in snow storm cant drive

my 8 mounth old son fell off the bed i was changing his dipper and drop the dipper and he kicked off the bed and hit the floor head frist! and his vains in his head are turning blue. and he seems to be ok but he just went to sleep so do i call 911 or what. he woke up for a dipper change and now i dont know what to do? please help me!!!!  and at a hotel in differnte state and snowed in dont have a doc for him on medacide and go to a clinic dont know who to call!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Relax. Don't call 911 unless he starts acting funny. But definitely call an on-call doctor's line or your doctor's office's after hours number.

My mother, a nurse, said it is always better if you can see the bruising on the outside, because that means that much of the injury is on the outside. And, skin bruises can look awful. She said when a child gets a good bump on the head, and you don't see an injury, then you have more to worry about. The injury could be inside, and therefore more severe.

Calm down, it'll all work out!
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 2:48 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• put cold wash cloth on the bump this is first of many bumps your child will get
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 2:54 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I wouldnt let him go to sleep for a while. Is there a bump? if theres a bump then he should be ok, but if not then you should worry just a bit because that means the bump (swelling) could be going on inside his head. I would call a nurse hotline to be 100% sure though because I am not a nurse
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:57 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• hd the exact same thing happen when my child was 7 months old. I took him to the e.r. because he was definitely not ok, he was shrieking. He had a broken collar bone. I felt so ashamed. After that I did all diaper changes on the floor(we didn't have a changing table). I would call the on-call dr and see wha they say. You can never be too careful though....especially with a head bump and an infant. You could just take him straight to the e.r.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:59 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• SweetLove, she can't drive anywhere right now. :( I looked up a nurse hotline number for you, call this, they will have the best advice for you: If you need a nurse call Ask-A-Nurse 24 hours a day, 7 days a week toll free at 800-675-6368.

You said he seems fine right now, so take a deep breath, and call :) Don't worry, mama.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 3:17 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I aswered her question before she edited it and added that she was out of state, in a hotel, etc.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:24 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Wait...did he fall asleep as a result of hitting his head or because he was tired?

If he fell asleep because of the injury then YES CALL 911. If he just fell back asleep because he's tired chances are he's fine but call the nurse hotline to get nurses opinion.

miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 3:43 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• If he fell asleep because of injury, wake him IMMEDIATELY and call 911, emergency services can get to you come hell or high water. And most clinics honor medicaid...as do all hospitals.
    COWGIRLinPEARLs

Answer by COWGIRLinPEARLs at 4:12 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• CALL 911 NOW!!!! WAKE HIM UP!!! DON'T LET HIM SLEEP!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 4:22 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• the question is did he cry? If he cried you are probably fine and can wait till you can call your doctor in the am if you feel he needs it.
    LarkSundsmo

Answer by LarkSundsmo at 10:17 AM on Jan. 10, 2011