My son is 3 turning 4 in dec. he is delayed and just started potty training......

I finally got him to sit on the potty seat and like it. I gave him one sweet tart because it was his first time sitting on it with out a tantrum yesterday and then this morning for his first time he started to go to the bathroom in it. I claped my hands and said wow cause thats what he likes and had a huge smile on my face and then i gave him two sweet tarts. How can i get him to want to go on his own i know i just started but is it over time? and how long does it usually take? Im only doing two tiems a day to start out with since this is the second day. How should i go about it in the after noon? i find my self forgetting because me i can well not go the hole day . (because of highschool i held it in for 8and a half hours everyday) bc of teachers and rules. anyways how often should i take him to the potty?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in General Parenting

• I'd say first of all you have to be constant and consistant with him. I've heard every half hour is good to take them in. Your doing good praising him, they need that. Every kid potty trains in their own time I guess so time wise, who knows? My son was trained two weeks before he turned 3 but I struggled! My husband actually took over and had him trained in one day!! :O) Good luck to you though, it's a fun, frustrating stage. :O)
    DandyL

Answer by DandyL at 10:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• What I did with mine was, I bought a cheap kitchen timer. I would set it for a certian time then when the bell rang she would know it was time to go. I started out small, like every 15 mins. then I increased it a bit at a time. I thought, for the longest time, she was gonna go to high school needing to pee every 30 mins. LMAO. But she finally got the hang of it. But it seemed to take forever! But she had fun screaming "pee-pee time!!" when her timer went off. Now she is doing good about going on her own and she has even started pooping in the potty on her own too. :)
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 10:48 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• First off, he's not delayed b/c of the potty training. Dont let that stress you.my son is 3 and turns 4 in Feb, we are still working on it. For us he is fully PP trained and we drag him kicking and screaming to get the other done :). We have run the gamet as far as rewards, etc. You have to find what is most exciting for him. For us we have graduated to using money that he saves up to buy a specific toy. At first we had to have immediate rewards such as candy, stickers. etc. My son has sensory problems so if he would poop at all on the potty we would load up and go to the store. We did that a few times and then got to where we only rewarded for larger poops, then to after you get 5 stickers etc. Like I said we are on to money now and that works great for us. Don't be afraid to over reward at first, just dont continue it for long or he will grow to expect it.
    karebearintx

Answer by karebearintx at 11:13 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• A few other things we did was we put his favorite toys on the back of the toilet and let him play with them while he sat on the potty. We also resorted to allowing him to eat his snacks on the potty,etc. I really believe the best mantra you can have is "WHATEVER IT TAKES" LOL :) People take themselves far too seriously with this stuff. Just be consistant, dont scold or punish, and offer positive rewards as often as possible..It will come with time. Oh one other thing...is he in a preschool program...peer pressure really helps :)
    karebearintx

• BTW- Every hour at first, set a timer
    karebearintx

Answer by karebearintx at 11:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• He is delayed because of health problems in the past not because he isnt potty training. i must of worded that wrong -sorry- Yea he is in a special preschool. so he can learn how to talk, do sighn language, follow directions etc
    Anonymous

• I have 3 children. The oldest is a boy, he had no interest in potty training. I got him to sit periodically thru the day trying m&m's as motivation. He complied but didn't care. And one day he threw off his diaper and said, "I don't want to wear diapers anymore!" ok, then. He was 2yr. & 9mo. old. My next is a girl who was exactly the same age when she became potty trained. She would sit on the potty but didn't care either. This was until grandpa said ,"I'll buy you some pretty panties at the store if you try going on the potty." Well, that's all that took!
    Constellation

Answer by Constellation at 5:24 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• (continued) my last child is PDD or pervasive developement disorder (on Autistic spectrum). He was 4yr. & 9mo. old when I finally said "Mommy didn't buy anymore diapers. You have to use the potty like a big boy now." Actually, my real issue was I had no more sizes to go up to in diapers. I have a lot of patience and he is not the other 2. Keep at it, it will happen. It is a learning experience for both of you. Do it as frequently as your time permits and it will just become a normal part of your child's day. Good luck!!
    Constellation

Answer by Constellation at 5:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Well it is really different when you throw in health problems. Like I said my son has sensory problems and is probably a HFA. Do you think that he is mentally ready for potty training, b/c that is the biggest question. I will say that like the PP I somewhat had to force the poop issue, weirdest thing once we said you aren't wearing diapers any more he was fine. Of course we did have to allow him to poop in a diaper. He would wear underwear and then come ask for a diaper when he needed to poop. YES it pissed me off, but I grinned and beared it and was glad I did in the end. Yeah it took him a lot longer to get ready to go on the potty but it did build some much needed trust between us, so that was good at least
    karebearintx

Answer by karebearintx at 10:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2008