can you eat shrimp when pregnant ?

mommy2b_2011

Asked by mommy2b_2011 at 6:30 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• yes you can eat shrimp when your pregnant, but you just have a limitation to how much shrimp you eat. I don't know the actual amount you can consume, but it is worth looking up before you overdue it
    AmirnLexcimom

Answer by AmirnLexcimom at 7:01 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Yes, in limited quantities.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:17 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Make sure its cooked all the way too. Like, I wouldn't really eat shrimp cocktail, but like if you grill it, bake it, fry it, ect. I think it should be just fine for you!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 7:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• They say you can, I did not just me. I do agree with the above ladies.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 8:02 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Blech! I hate shrimp. I did not eat any seafood while pregnant b/c of the mercury risk and Autism. Just me.
    babiesandkids

Answer by babiesandkids at 8:21 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Re heavy metals and seafood: Heavy metals are a BIG deal in fish that slowly grow by eating other fish. The metals accumulate in the tissues of top predators (shark, tuna, etc ...). Shrimp grow so quickly and have short lives, they don't build up to anywhere near the levels of those other guys.

Enjoy your well-cooked shrimp, because no one likes food poisoning, especially the baby!
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 8:34 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Thank you JZ10FPM that makes sense.
    babiesandkids

Answer by babiesandkids at 9:34 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Yes, but just not everyday.
    It has some murcury in it, but not enough in one serving to have any negative effects. That's why they suggest once a week or even once a month while pregnant.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:48 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Yes, just make sure its cooked!
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 6:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• The FDA also recommends that pregnant women can safely eat an average of 12 ounces of other types of COOKED fish each week You may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week. Emphasis is placed on choosing a variety of fish low in mercury such as shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish. So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week.

karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 8:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2011