im going to sound like one of those annoying moms, but here goes. 2 year old daughter throwing up since yesterday..

and my only concern with taking her in is being sent home with just the fact she has a virus and having nothing done about it. last time she threw up a few times it was only in the morning, i did take her in and was told it was a virus, and she was fine the rest of the day. yesterday though, she ate breakfast and a morning snack, and before afternoon threw it all up. she seemed fine after that, but wouldn't eat anything. then she threw up again afternoon, once more in the late afternoon, and once more before bed. all she ate was a jar of applesauce and this was after the last throwing up, so she did keep that down. she slept fine, too. but woke up this morning, drank some watery juice and threw up again. she barely has a fever, only 99.2. my concern is dehydration, but she's drinking her juice. im almost sure she will throw that up later though. her diaper was wet this morning, but not nearly as wet as it usually is. what do you ladies think.. call the doctor or not?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:18 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You are doing the right things. Keep an eye on her fever. Right now there is a lot of flu going around. My husband is a Dr. doing an ER rotation right now and was just telling me about all the people that have come in for the same symptoms. All they can do about a virus or a flu is give an excuse for school, which you obviously don't need and he did give one person anti nausea medications. If the fever increases call the ped.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 8:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• take her in if she gets dehydrated. That's when it gets very serious. If you can keep her hydrated, she'll be fine. Soda works great, because the carbonation makes it absorb in the stomach quicker. Soda won't sit in her tummy long, so she is less likely to throw it up. If you have ginger ale, use that.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:28 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Keep giving her little sips of liquid, it's very important to keep her hydrated. Providing food/drink has been down at least 20 minutes then at least some of the nutrition is going in.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:31 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Personally, I wouldn't bother with the doctor. Just keep offering small sips of liquids. I wouldn't give any food unless she's hungry. If it lasts a few more days, then I would call. They always tell me it's a virus too.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:32 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• To try and keep her hydrated without throwing it up try giving her an eyedropper full or two every 10 - 15 mintues. That will keep her hydrated but usually isn't enough to make her throw it up.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 10:27 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I know they've probably given her antibiotics but if she's still vomiting get her some sprite or 7up. That's always worked on us. If she can keep it down give her some pedialite. Or switch off. That way she stays hydrated. GL with that. Streps some bad stuff.
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 2:02 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• thanks. im sure this is one of those viruses that has to run its course. but im faced with another dilemma, my 4 year old definitely needs to go in today and get her eye checked, she's got green goo running out of it. so im going to have to take everyone in anyway since my husband has to work and nobody else can help me. im wondering if i "might as well" get my 2 year old checked out, too, since ill already be there.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:31 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• thanks for the answers. i sure am glad i took her in, the vomiting was her first symptom of strep throat :( i had it last week and must've given it to her as much as i tried not to share it with my kids! the doctor wasn't even going to do a throat culture or anything and did say "it's a virus" until i told her i just got over strep last week. she decided to test and sure enough, she has it too.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2011