Why has the Death threats to our congress tripled in the last 3 months of 2010

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I would almost agree with goodwitch399 but I think it has to do with the violent atmosphere created by political figuires from the likes of Billo, Beck, Hannity, Palin, and Michelle Bachmann and the Republican Party!!!

(go ahead and vote me down, I don't care ! HAHA)
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 8:46 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• So let me get this straight. Members of congress who voted overwhelmingly in favor of legislation that the people who elected them were vocally opposed to, don't understand why, out of the millions of people who were upset and wanted them out of office, a small portion reacted irrationally? They have an absolute record low approval rating, meaning the majority of people in the entire country think they're doing their job wrong, and that doesn't give them a clue as to why the number of threats - a constant ratio of the people upset with them, has increased?

Actually, I'm sure THEY understand it perfectly well. And even then, when it came down to it, when someone finally acted out, it was some nutjob with a shrine and a human skull in his backyard, not some political activist.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:14 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Your article was from March 2010. Get current.

That's pretty amazing - an article from March 2010 knew what statistics would be like the last 3 months of 2010? Whoever wrote that needs to invest in the lottery.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:19 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• and it was specific to teh HEALTH CARE and IMMIGRATION debates....

WHY?

Because Pelosi forbid people to debate any legislation that wasn't written by her party.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:28 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• They didn't. There was a slight uptick over the passage of the HC bill but that was back in April.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:13 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:15 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Eric Cantor was targeted as well. Unfortunately they receive death threats on a regular basis. In our country of 300 million people we have crackpots. The Democrats received the threats because they were the party in control.

Talk show hosts don't cause people to do crazy things. Show me a direct correlation between them and I"ll buy it. So, in other words, show me that person A threatened their congressman because of something Beck or Hannity said. Or even Maddow or Olberman. I don't buy it, at all. Someone who is unstable is going to do what their going to do no matter what some mouth piece says.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:20 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Really thats what the threats were in relation too?

Small words:
    Pelosi bans all Republican bills. Only Dem bills get voted. Only Dem bills pass. People mad about bills, HAVE to be mad at Dems, because there are no Pub laws to be mad at. If she hadn't kicked them out, they could share the hate and the blame. Since she wanted all the glory, she wins all the threats and pissed off voters that go with owning ALL the new bills.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• eye rollingWell because of Sarah Palin of course.

Well Obama did say he would bring change.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• All the research I found on 10 Democrats receiving death threats were in news reports back in March 23-25 of 2010. Doesn't make it any less of a threat but certainly not a new development. Regardless, both sides have received death threats over the years as both sides have crazy people out of touch with reality.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:19 AM on Jan. 10, 2011