car travel with dogs

My puppy has always been a good car traveller but we've always had him in the backseat (with a correctly fitted car harness and belted in) and he's never been a problem. I recently called my local police dept to check whether he would be allowed in the front seat if harnessed in. They said that he would but they reccomend he goes in the boot of the car.

SO thats what ive been trying to do. However he keeps jumping up and peering over the back seat while im driving. I'm trying to find a decent dog guard now but they all seem to have bad reviews so need more time to research as i want to find a good one.

He's not big enough to jump over the seat but itd be better if he laid down and rested as its not safe him staning up like that! Plus its distracting looking at those puppydog eyes in my mirror while he's crying....

How did you train your pup to lie nicely in the boot? He has a blanket etc in there. Should he have toys? I sprinkled a few treats on the blanket thinking he'd associate the boot with something good but once he ate them he just kept jumping up again. How did you get them used to it? Am i handling it wrong?

Any advice would be helpful :)

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 8:20 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Pets

• We have 3 large dogs and they go on car rides off and on. I think what's best is doing it frequently enough to where they are used to it. Maybe try taking him with you on short trips to town before you take him on a long trip. We never really had to do anything special, no dog guard, no harness, they are in the back of our Range Rover, lay down, and sometimes just sit and watch out the window. On long trips we take food and water but that's it.
    If your dog is jumpy in or out of the car then I'm afraid you'll have to work on the behavior at home before you work on the car problems...
    I'm sorry I don't have more help. GL.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:49 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I have three dogs and they all ride in the back of the car(trunk area). I have a wagon. It's tight but what I do is put my biggest dog in a crate because he has a hard time settling down and the other two are loose. They lay down. Although my youngest as to be tied in or he will jump the seats when we are stopped. I do have a divider that I use most of the time. When i am have to carry a lot though it gets in the way.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• yes i agree, try like a quick trip round the block or someting and reward him with treats when hes stayed
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2011