What rights are appropriate?

So the diagnosis of psychosis and schizophrenia has been officially brought up in the news reports on the shooter. His college expelled him over the summer, pending a psych exam. The army rejected him. He had a criminal history. At what point should someone be compelled to undergo a psych exam? Everyone keeps asking how and why the guy could get a gun - well, the reason is, he cannot be compelled to get the diagnosis unless a judge orders one. Until it comes to that point, it's his choice.

Even as Dupnik is on tv live right now backpedaling and talking about how this is a "disturbed individual" one of many. He has "no proof" that anything people have said has in any way influenced anyone, including Loughner. He also says it's a free country and he's not suggesting we do anything to tamper with free speech.

But what about mental health - should the community - the school, the Army, the people who were terrified to be in the same room with him back in June, have had some recourse to file a complaint with an agency like Adult Protective Services and had them investigate him?

I remember a few times the question has come up here about whether or not the mentally ill should have their access to the internet or other things restricted because they may become violent, and the answers were always no, that's not right. Is it really not right? If nothing else, when those videos hit You Tube, should someone have had a place to send the link and say, hey look at this, check into it?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:29 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I get what you are saying and if more people spoke out instead of not wanting to get involved, the outcome might have been different, it is very sad.....

Answer by older at 8:32 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• The problem with making someone undergo a psych exam is where does it stop? This guy obviously had issues, and one would think that somewhere along the line a red flag would have went up - but he wasn't "bad" enough for the law to intervene. There's a balance here somewhere, but any legislation in this area concerns me. Our government has a bad habit of over-regulating (The Patriot Act comes to mind), I could see this as a gateway to reduced freedom.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:37 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• They were interviewing one of his classmates from college earlier. They had emails she'd written to a friend about him (and she had asked their prof to deal with him - prof went through channels, he was eventually removed, but it took weeks just to get that done). One of her emails specifically said he was the kind of guy you see on the news after he brings a gun to class, and that she sat by the door with her purse ready at all times.

When it gets to that point, there should be some sort of recourse.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Sometimes even speaking up does no good. I grew up with someone who was unstable. imo Several people felt the same as I did. We did speak up. He had a couple ex girlfriends file restraining orders against him. Nobody would listen to anyone.

He was never ordered to be evaluated. He snapped one day and killed 7 family members. One of them his mother and one of them a 3 yr old niece of his. He was able to hide out in the woods for a while before he was caught.

This story goes on and on. The family, and several others, asked for him to be evaluated. Nothing was ever done until it was too late.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• The mental health system is broken. Ill say it again. The mental health system is broken. That is what needs to be fixed first and foremost. You dont know how many families are out there begging to get their child, wife, husband, mom, dad, etc help. With my son I have spent so many weekends at the ER looking for a bed for him, only to have him released a day later because he knows how to pass any questioning. Insurance companies dont want to pay for psych evals, they dont want to pay for treatment. Its always long term and that cost them money.
    If there was a way to get these people help long term and insure they are properly medicated and helped then we wouldnt see things like this happen as often. The problem is they have the right not to take their meds or get treatment. So, how do you fix it without taking away their rights too?

Answer by gemgem at 8:41 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Everyone has the right to free speech and I do not think we nor the government have the right to tamper with it. The Bill of Rights was set up to protect the rights of all individuals. We all have the right to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. I believe when others' rights are infringed upon, it is their responsibility to report it to the proper authorities. That might mean a psychologist, psychiatrist, law officials; the idea is to try to get help for the individual. That means getting involved which most people do not like to do. I agree with "older". More people need to get involved when something is not right and speak out in the proper way to the proper authorities. It may have changed the outcome and spared many lives. It was a sad tragedy for all of us.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:44 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Dealt with this issue personally , The laws do not help. Someone who is NOT in their right mind should not be the one that can say yes I need help....Most times they dont know it...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:45 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I agree with Scuba.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:22 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Jared Loughner- Suffering mental illness, but immensely useful to the left’s smear campaign

Never Let a Crisis Go to Wate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think that if he approached a government agency with the request to join (the military) then he most definitely should have been required to have the psych exam. Going to the government is one thing, having them come to you is another.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:39 AM on Jan. 10, 2011