Heart Heathy Southern Cookin'

Looking to switch around some yummy southern cookin' favorites for my southern inlaws that are having heart problems. Anyone have any good yummy's and/or tips to share?

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 8:34 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Use smoked turkey to flavor things that normally would be flavored with smoked ham hocks. Concentrate on vegetables rather than the meat.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:46 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• More exercise and less stress are probably just as important as change of diet.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:54 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• good ole homemade bisuits in an iron skillet always did my family good. you can also make chicken n dumplings for those cold days but use low sodium and sea salt instead of regular salt. Also add celery and carrots the flavor from those 2 little things is INCREDIBLE
    MarleighsMommy2

Answer by MarleighsMommy2 at 9:08 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Aren't breads bad? Especially biscuits? And is just changing the salt enough? (I slaughter their chicken and dumplings - wait until they get my cookbook I'm making...) :)
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 9:17 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Lol chicken and dumplings can not be considered healthy because of the fats needed to make the dumplings. I am sure there is some way to change it to where it is healthier but I'm not sure that it would be near as good. I have had to make a LOT of changes to my diet since I got put on a low fat, low sodium, no dairy diet. I am from Texas, so I grew up on the southern cooking. I now make what used to be ham bean soup with smoked turkey leg instead of ham hock, and I use low sodium low fat broth instead of full fat broths in the soup too. I make a decent chili with turkey. For roasts or beef stew, buy bison. It's a LOT leaner than beef, and sometimes even leaner than chicken breast and taste just as good as beef if not better. I can send you some great bison recipes. I also use extra lean ground bison or turkey in place of all ground beef. Once I get my kids to school I will send you some recipes :)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:35 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• That's the problem. NOTHING is as near as good as the cooking down there. Am I going to get slapped in the face if I take their family recipe's and adjust them? They are all big deer hunters - deer would probably be good because there's low fat. My husband brought home some buffalo meat from MT - I liked it a lot. Another big problem is that they are on a budget so they probably look for deals opposed to heathy. Just trying to help them make the adjustment. Looking for healthy sausage gravy now...

Thanks!!!
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• You can make mac and cheese with brown rice pasta so they have a whole grain that is easy on the digestive system and higher in protein. tinkyada is the brand I like the best. Then sub skim milk.

Rather than fry chicken, use skinless pieces with the bone in for flavor. dust them lightly with panko and spray with olive oil the roast in the oven.

Poached eggs instead of fried for breakfast. Use low fat sour cream instead of mayo in potato salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, etc.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:06 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/collard_green_black_eyed_pea_soup.html

Try that one for starters. It's based on collard greens and blackeyed peas, and it stays fairly true to its southern roots but is much healthier. Good luck! It sounds like they don't really want to change their way of eating though. You should just know that for heart health it's very important that they eat low fat, and definitely LOW SODIUM because high sodium levels can lead to heart disease and high blood pressure.

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Yes, the venison is a good option as far as lean meats go. For optimal heart health, they should be consuming no more than 1500 mg of sodium per day (the average american eats about 4000 mg of sodium per day!), and they should be avoiding high cholesterol foods like cheeses, full fat dairy, beef, pork, and fried foods. You can make good oven "fried" chicken, roasted potato wedges instead of fries, and to season instead of adding salt, they can use any of the Mrs Dash seasoning mixes. Don't add salts to foods, and stay away from canned vegetables. That's my best suggestions.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• No - it sounds like they WANT to but don't know how. It bothered me though, when we were visiting, people kept bringing food because we were at the hospital so much and it was all the stuff that wasn't good for you - but comfort foods. :( Pork sandwiches...chicken pot pie and you could taste the salt...it was the thought...
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2011