Weird Christmas Present

This year for christmas my DH recieved another picture from his SIS,of her and her husband holding her pregnant belly together. I am not sure what to make of these types of presents, because every christmas they give a cheaply framed picture of the two of them together in loving poses. It seems like a weird present and I have never recieved these type of pictures from my own family for christmas presents.
Is this normal/common in other families?

Added later:

I would just like to add that we do get them a gift every year that they ask me to buy them.  They wanted me to buy baby stuff so I did buy them baby stuff.  They never ask us what we are interests our when I am asking them about their interests.  And they do have money bc they buy themselves christmas presents that are 500$ for each other.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• Honestly, I would start doing the same kind of thing in return, give photos of your kids, framed and call it good. Don't ask what they want and if they hint about things, tell them you've got it covered.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:34 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I know several families who give framed pics but not in lovey poses. I wouldnt send anything back unless you really want to. Its the thought that counts????
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 8:52 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Maybe they think you'd like to have the picture?
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:53 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I agree, that's a weird Christmas present, but some folks are abnormally fixated on photographic pseudo-evidence of their "happy family", which is sort of like a bowl of Campbell's soup--tasteless, but not actively offensive.

In your place, I would get them a present, if only to obviate future family tensions. But that's just me.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:01 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Good friends of ours gave us a pic like that 3 years ago when she was expecting twins after TTC'ing for several years. They were excited about the pregnancy, and wanted to share the experience. Truly, I thought it was a little odd, but the sentiment was sweet.

I wouldn't get them a "return gift" unless you want to.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:55 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• We received a strange picture this Christmas too.. My Aunt sent one of her living room. It's Stark White, with a white Xmas Tree, furniture, carpet, walls, etc... It was really weird because there were NO people in the picture,lol... I wouldn't have minded if I could have seen my Aunt and Uncle. She's so in love with her house that she went around and took pics, put them in frames and gave them to my Sister to decorate her house,lol... Some people are weird and I leave it at that.
    I don't think you need to send anything in return. Just laugh it off, and forget about it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:56 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Perhaps they don't have a lot of money to spend on everyone. We get those from my brother every year too.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 8:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I don't think it is weird at all, it is a thoughtful gift that they thought you would enjoy having without going over board on expense.

Answer by older at 9:07 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I know lots of people who send weird pics of their families but only as in like the Christmas card. As far as the gift I wouldn't feel the need to send one although I might send them one back of my family. It's kind of the thought that counts on something like this
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:56 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Every year I send photos of my kids to my family. Years ago I added one nice frame for each kid so now I just send the pic and my family replaces last year's photo. Just buy a frame that you like and put it on the family shelf.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 8:56 AM on Jan. 10, 2011