If you don't use a leash for your toddler, then what?

If you don't use a leash for your child because you think it's wrong, what do you use to keep them with you when you are out in crowded places? I'm not judging, I'm just curious because I don't like child leashes either.

HUmama

Asked by HUmama at 10:01 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I dont think they are wrong really, I just don't choose to use one. If I am going to a really crowded place I either make my kids sit in a stroller or I hold their hand. It's my responsibility to keep my babies safe and in my sight. I dont feel I need a leash to do it!
    AJsMomma

Answer by AJsMomma at 10:06 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Using a child leash is OK with me. It stops the kid from running all over bothering people..Strapping the kid into a stroller is what I did.  Teaching the kid not to leave your side works to.

Answer by louise2 at 10:11 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• strollers, hold their wrist (not their hand), teach them at an early age to stay by your side. The earlier they learn, the better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Well first off I wouldn't call them a leashes... but anyway, I let him walk or we do the stroller. I only used his "harness" when we were on vacation on different tours, I would rather have him on his harness as opposed to him running through rocky canyons as seen in one of my pictures on my page....
    haylensmom07

Answer by haylensmom07 at 10:18 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Sometimes it's not always about teaching them to learn. My daughter has a problem with obedience and understanding consequences and danger due to some issues she had prior to being born. I cannot take her in public without being in a stroller or a harness because she doesn't comprehend the danger associated with hot, cars, strangers, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Hold them, hold their hand, stroller.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• You have to do what you ultimately think will keep your child safe. Do leashes look bad? yes! Do they work? Yes, so don't worry about what others will think. You are doing what you think is right...I think the more proper term is a harness but either way its the same thing. I use them . I try to use mine as a last resort, but if your kid wants to run and your in a crowd you do what you got to do.
    Good luck
    ceciandrew

Answer by ceciandrew at 10:25 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I don't mind when I see people using a leash. Some of them are really cute (monkeys, bears, etc.) I almost bought one for my son! For a while, he was out of control. He would walk into a store and just take off. Or, out in a parking lot, he wanted to run wild and not let me hold onto him. But, I stood strong and made him mind me and stay at my side while in stores or stay in the cart. There was a lot of crying...mostly him...LOL! It was a tough period that we went through, but we got through it! For him, it was just a stubborn phase. Being firm and consistent works for us. Good luck!
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 10:27 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Ok I didn't expect some of you to get so touchy about the term "leash". That's what it looks like. LOL.
    HUmama

Answer by HUmama at 10:40 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I use a child restraint because to me its the same as a stroller the child is restrained in both of them. The only difference is one the child can walk off some energy the other is they are forced to sit.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:30 AM on Nov. 12, 2008