he still has a fever

well its been 5 days now that my ds has had his fever! we've taken him to the er twice and both times they say its just a virus. well they said if he still has a ever today we have to bring him back up there to check on something called kawasaki's disease, im so worrid about my lil boy. has ne1 ever heard of this b4, if so what do u know about it?

mamasmurf171

Asked by mamasmurf171 at 10:15 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Yes, my son who is 7 had high fevers for a week, he even started getting a weird rash.

My peditrician said it was a virus, we went to the er and then the peditrician. It lasted a week, I was soo scared.

He wind up stop getting fevers after that, so hopefully you son will too but it did take a week, i will say a prayer. Every night and day he was sluggish, and hot... It is very odd, but know could explain it too us.... Good luck!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My son was never on antibiotics, it won't help them if it is viral...

The peds gave me the prescription but said don't fill it until they get the results from the test back. Yes, they did take blood and tested him for a new infection amazing even though the rash looked exactly like the infection it came back negative... Antibiotics are only good for infections.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:28 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Listen to the doctors if he needs antibiotics they well give him some. I guess from the other post this seems to be more common then I though it was so take a breath and go back to the doctors and just give him alot of love that always helps.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My 5 year-old had it, too. Was sick with two different things for nearly 2 weeks. First, stomach bug for 3 days on school vacation. Then last week had a fever, cough, loss of appetite, diarrhea, achy, tired - you name it. His fever spiked to 103.7 and the nurse practitioner (yes, we couldn't see the damn doctor AGAIN) said it was a virus and he had an ear infection so gave him a script for the ear. Well, Advil got him down to 100.2 and at 11pm that night he woke up and his body was on fire. He was back up to 103.2 and I freaked. Threw him in the lukewarm tub and scrubbed him down, put a cool compress on his head, under his neck, gave him meds and called the on-call doc at 12. She said keep it up, sounds like the flu not a virus. Said bringing to ER will do no good. My bf got some Tylenol for me to give him and that started him down, but his fever finally went away Friday. It started on Sunday. Poor kid...
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:39 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• He didn't even look like my kid to me at times. He looked so listless, and thin, and purplish under his eyes. He was so tired his eyes were rolling. I was trying to not cry looking at him sometimes but my heart was breaking that I couldn't get him better faster.

Just hang in there, keep doing what you do for a fever and it will break. Poor kid, hope he feels better.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:41 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• What is Kawasaki disease?

Kawasaki disease is a rare childhood illness that affects the blood vessels. The symptoms can be severe for several days and can look scary to parents. This disease tends to be severe for several days, but then most children return to normal activities.

Kawasaki disease can harm the coronary arteries, which carry blood to the heart. Most children who are treated recover from the disease without long-term problems. Your doctor will watch your child for heart problems for a few weeks to a few months after treatment.

The disease is most common in children ages 1 to 2 years and is less common in children older than age 8. It does not spread from child to child (is not contagious).
    What causes Kawasaki disease?

Experts don't know what causes the disease. It may be caused by infection from a virus or bacteria. The disease happens most often in the late winter and early spring.

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 2:00 PM on May. 11, 2011

• What are the symptoms?

Symptoms of Kawasaki disease include:

* A fever lasting at least 5 days.
    * Red eyes.
    * A body rash.
    * Swollen, red lips and tongue.
    * Swollen, red feet and hands.
    * Swollen lymph nodes in the neck.

Get medical help right away if your child has symptoms of Kawasaki disease. Early diagnosis and treatment can often prevent future heart problems.
    How is Kawasaki disease diagnosed?

Kawasaki disease can be hard to diagnose because there is not a test for it. Your doctor may diagnose Kawasaki disease if both of these things are true:
    Christmaslver68

• * Your child has a fever that lasts at least 5 days.
    * Your child has four of the other five symptoms listed above.

After your child gets better, he or she will need checkups to watch for heart problems.
    How is it treated?

Treatment for Kawasaki disease starts in the hospital. It may include:

* Immunoglobulin (IVIG) medicine. This is given through a vein (intravenous, or IV) to reduce inflammation of the blood vessels.
    * Aspirin to help pain and fever and to lower the risk of blood clots.

Aspirin therapy is often continued at home. Because of the risk of Reye syndrome, do not give aspirin to your child without talking to your doctor. If your child is exposed to or develops chickenpox or flu (influenza) while taking aspirin, talk with your doctor right away.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 2:01 PM on May. 11, 2011

• How serious is Kawasaki disease?

Most children with Kawasaki disease get better and have no long-term problems. Treatment is important because it shortens the illness and reduces the chances of problems.

Some children who are not treated will have damage to the coronary arteries. An artery may get too large and form an aneurysm. Or the arteries may narrow or develop blood clots. A child who has damaged coronary arteries may be more likely to have a heart attack as a young adult.
    Christmaslver68

• Learning about Kawasaki disease:

* What is Kawasaki disease and is it serious?
    * What are the symptoms?

Being diagnosed:

* How is it diagnosed?

Getting treatment:

* How is Kawasaki disease treated?
    * Why is treatment important?
    * Can Kawasaki disease be treated at home?

Living with Kawasaki disease:

* Is there anything I can do at home?
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 2:02 PM on May. 11, 2011