C-Section #2...scared about this upcoming expierence

I had to have an unplanned c-section with my son. I was stuck at 4cm with my son after 14 hours of labor. During the surgery, I felt a lot of the delievery =( It was awful. Afterwards, when they released me 5 days later, my c-section scar re-opened. I am now 10 weeks with my second baby and have decided to do a scheduled c-section. I talked to my doctor about my concerns and he told me that with a scheduled c-section, I will get a spinal block instead of an epidural and he will use stitches instead of staples. I still am very concerned/scared. Any advice from mom's who have had c -sections would be greatly appreciated =)

Noahsmom0909

Asked by Noahsmom0909 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Well, one thing I can tell you...though c-sections are NOT ideal, a scheduled c-section is certainly a heck of a lot less traumatic than laboring for 14 hours and having to be rushed in for an emergency one. As long as the pregnancy goes smoothly, you will probably find this time's birthing experience easier to cope with than what happened the first time around.
    I had to have 2 c-sections and though I wish it hadn't turned out that way, it did, and it's over and me and my children are healthy and happy. Good luck to you.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:25 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I had 3 c-sections. At least, this time around, you know what to expect, pain and recovery-wise. No, they aren't any fun, but you did what was best for your baby the 1st time, and you will do just fine this time. Best wishes for you and your little one.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I didn't have a c-section, but I don't blame you for being scared. VBAC is not an option?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:26 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• All 3 of mine were c-sections. The thought of surgery, recovery and all the surgery details is never 'fun'. I know with my 2nd and 3rd I had great doctors that I liked and trusted, but I still felt a bit apprehensive and nervous about the surgery and everything. To keep from stressing myself out I tried to put my focus not on the surgery, but on the outcome-- that once it was done I would have my beautiful little baby.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:29 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I've had 2 c-sec....one was similiar to your first, I was in induced labor for 15 hours stuck at 5cm....however i DID have a spinal on top of the epi I had already had with that one and felt nothing. I also recovered nicely because I got up and walked as frequently as I could!

My 2nd c-sec, was initially scheduled, but came 2 weeks early due to preeclampsia. I had a spinal and the only thing I felt was my daughter kicking a LOT when they were getting her out. Recovery went even better because I knew what to expect, I overdid the walking a bit (and would get sore and tired), but by the end of that first day I was off the pain meds and only on motrin....nurses thought I was crazy, but I didn't need anything more than that, so why take it?
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:30 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Yes, prayer......

I have had 2 c-sections and all went well.

Just follow there directions and as for the stitches un doing, I hope you don't have the same doctor. I never heard of such a thing.....

You can do it!!!!! You and the baby will be fine!!!! Just remember the mind has alot to do with it, think positive.... Try to push the bad thoughts away....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• A scheduled c-section is so much better than an emergency one. I had 2 great experiences. And the recovery time with your second will be much better. Good luck to you!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:40 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I am kind of going through the same thing as you. I had an emergency c-section with my first daughter, I was in labor for two days with minute to 2 minute apart contractions, got to 9 1/2 cm and my baby girls heart rate completely stopped, so they had to rush me into the OR. I felt them doing everything, just none of the pain, I only had the epideral (which they screwed up on), but didn't feel any pain, and recovery was easy on me the first time, hard at times but overall not as bad as what people were telling me what it'd be like. I am currently 20 weeks pregnant with my second child, and have decided to do another c-section as I wasen't comfortable with the VBAC idea. I am nervous about the whole thing this time. I am mostly frightened of the spinal/epideral and my scar re-opening. I have been having a lot more pain this time around, and have been put on bed rest from 14 weeks I wish you the best of luck and stay positive!
    PrdWifeNMom07

Answer by PrdWifeNMom07 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I had 2 csections with no problems. The fact that it's scheduled makes it safer than an emergency csection. You will have time to prepare and hopefully be much calmer, knowing you are in good hands! Plus, for me recovery from the 2nd was much quicker than from the first. (I also had 3 vaginal deliveries and I would take a csection any day!)

Answer by missanc at 10:41 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Your 2nd c-section since will be way better then your first since its plan! Your recovery time will be way faster ! The pain wont be as painful. My first I was in labor for 36hours and got stuck at 7cm. I was in bed for over two weeks . My second I didnt want to lay down I was ready to get moving. The worst thing about my second was being in the OR while they are prepping everything it's so ccolddd! As long as everything goes to plan you will be fine
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 10, 2011