does anyone else still nurse past the age og 18 monthes?

nichols2011

Asked by nichols2011 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No, I think it is time too move on....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• No, the longest I nursed was 15 months.

Answer by missanc at 10:52 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• The AAP and the WHO state 2 years at least and then as mutually desired by parent AND kid. I will be doing child led weaning. I know many that nurse until age 3, 4 or 5. That is the natural human weaning age.

http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html

http://www.facebook.com/TheMomInformed?ref=sgm

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:53 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My Sisters all did. I think my nieces, and nephews were 21- 26 months. It was all about what they felt was best. I never said anything. All 3 of ours weaned themselves at 11-13 months...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:54 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Sadly, I stopped with our biodaughter at 14 months due to my need to begin medication for blood pressure. But, she did well and her transition was much easier than I expected. I was scared she would beg or cry - it was more like when I offered more sippy cups, etc - she never really asked to nurse again.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 10:57 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• JMO, that is way to long. Its time to stop. If I see someone nursing their four year old, I think that is creepy!
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• That is ONLY because society deemed it so. Nursing doesn't become creepy overnight. You don't have a nursing relationship one day and because her birthday came overnight it all of a sudden became weird. ANY research will tell you that nursing until the natural weaning age is not only healthy but, right.

Just because society told you that fake milk from a rubber nipple was normal and that by one your child should sleep alone in it's own room and become an independent self soother doesn't make it right.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:05 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I went to 30 months ( 2 1/2yrs) and had to stop due to starting new cardiac meds. She only nursed once a day at night.
    babyblue21

Answer by babyblue21 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• yes, to 3. after 2 it was a couple times a day for brief perids. But especially through the winter if you can keep it up, it will help your child's immuntiy. Your body creates anit-bodies as it is exposed to elements, whether or not your child is exposed your are passing the anti-bodies your body has made over the last 12-24 hours onto your child, thus giving them an immuntiy boost. Even once or twice a day nursing is good for them. Most of their nutrition comes from food and milk now, but that immunity is the key to why the AAP has increased recommended breastfeeding from one to two years, and WHO, though it states till 2, actually recommends to 3 years. Nursing is natural. We are the only country that cuts it short. But it's also a personal choice and you need to feel good about your maternal instincts. Good luck with your decision.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:08 AM on Jan. 10, 2011