CRAIGSLIST & JOB INTERVIEWS...HOW CAN I?

So I just got 3 job interviews, one is today at 2pm. Ever since all this stuff started happening on CL, i'm so iffy about going to these interviews. Today I have to go by myself, tomorrow my SO is coming to both of them. How can I tell if they're legit. I checked out one website, it looks like it was just made by any other person, if I can find it, I will post it. I'm nervous about going, but I really need a job.

knicole0708

Asked by knicole0708 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• Did you check them out on the better business bureau? Because I have had some and it was a legit looking place and some that just felt wrong. You should check them all out be careful.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Thanks Pink! I didn't even know I could do that!!!! That's a HUGE help.
    knicole0708

Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 10:59 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• It's a business,.....so they say lol
    knicole0708

Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• One time I went to what looked like the sketchiest place ever, warehouse district, and it ended up being the best job ever. I got to go on all expense paid business trips and even "work" on the set of Extreme Makeover Home Edition! Keep an open mind, be safe. Having gone to college in Detroit (for one year only) I got in the habit of keeping my keys in my right hand with one sticking out between my fingers until I felt safe.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 11:20 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• we own a home based business, run out of our detached garage. i had one girl call, and ask to meet at a local restraunt. and that was ok, we admired her for ability to ask, and her common sense to look us up before coming.
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 11:30 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I have looked up all 3 jobs, I have interviews with. I only found one on the BBB website Pink gave me, which is the one I go to this evening. I don't think it would be appropriate to meet at a local place, considering these are all at office's, so they have listed in there email. I think I will just carry a pocket knife with me LOL =( worst comes to worst, right?
    knicole0708

Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Here is my advice to you: If they ask you to check your credit report before they interview you, then it's not legit. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If it says it's a local job, but it's a company you never heard of, it could be a scam or it could be through an employment agency. It's best to double check any company you get a call for. I'd also be very leery of applying to jobs that don't include the name of the company in the listing.

Are you searching any other places besides Craigslist? You might want to be searching Monster, Yahoo, Careerboard and Indeed as well as local job boards and the newspaper. You'll also want to network either in person or online. If you network online, I suggest setting up a LinkedIn account.
    MoversShakers

Answer by MoversShakers at 5:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Look up the companies on Linkedin

Answer by rkoloms at 7:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2011