Today I sent my DD to school on her birthday...

She turns 13 today. I wanted to keep ker home and make a waffle breakfast for her but she had to go to school. She asked a teacher if she could stay home from school on her birthday last week.
So what would happen if you kept you child home from school on their birthday and the school knew about it?
I was thinking about picking her up and bringing her home for that waffle breakfast. Is that immature?

idaspida

Asked by idaspida at 10:54 AM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I would let her have her day at school, and make her her favorite dinner. Make a cake, etc.. Unless of course you already have something planned. Could you send some balloons, flowers, etc to school, to make her feel special? Just a thought. Or maybe pick her up and take her out to lunch, and then take her back.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Nothing would happen. As long as her grades are good and she hasn't already missed too many days.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:55 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My opinion is that it teaches children that school isn't all that important and that it is fine to miss.

Answer by Bmat at 10:56 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I wouldn't of thought that anything would of been done to you or her that happens all the time at the school I am at kids are gone for lots of reasons. As long as she hasn't missed many days it would of been fine.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:56 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• She has only one day due to a funeral, so I guess I am taking her out of school.
    idaspida

Comment by idaspida (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Now that I think of it, I am letting her stay the day in school. Thanks Bmat I would not want her to get that impression.
    idaspida

Comment by idaspida (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I would surprise her at school with balloons. One time My MawMaw came to my school and surprised me, that was one of the best birthday's i have ever had! I was so happy, and I actually think I was gonna cry!!! That was when I was in HS (16th birthday)
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• While it is very sweet of you that you want to do that for your daughter, she is 13 now. It's getting to be that time where she needs to learn that you can't miss important things for your birthday. Do something special for her when she gets home. Surprise her when she walks in the door to make her feel like a "big girl" for getting through the day doing what she needed to do and still show her that the day can be special even if she had to go to school.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 10:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think it woudl be fine, a lot of offices give the day off for birthdays, why not take a day off school for one?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I wouldn't take my child out of school for her birthday.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:00 AM on Jan. 10, 2011