• In the Spotlight:

Have you ever have to come into work when a single mom called off?

I am so mad today. This single mom called off because she does not have a babysister.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in General Parenting

• I guess she should have left her kids home alone? It's part of your job. If you don't like it, find a new one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My co-worker used to call out all the time because her son was sick (when she could have left him with her parents but she didn't want to) and then she got mad that I wanted to take my whole 3 months of maternity leave and not just 6 weeks. Some ppl just don't think of others.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 10:21 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• You are acting selfish....you better hope that, that is not you one day!
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:22 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Why bring up the fact that a single mom called out. I know of moms and dads that have a SO and have to call off occasionally because the babysitter gets sick...or maybe they don't have any family to help them out during emergencies. I was one of those "single" moms at one point in time too.

Being "mad" about it, won't get you anywhere. Just deal with it like an adult, and go on about your day.
    crdc91506

Answer by crdc91506 at 10:23 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Yes, I have come in for a single mother who took the day off and I have come in for married women who have taken the day off. Oh and I am a single mom.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 10:28 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I know it stinks that you had to work for her, but I don't think it should matter that she is a single mother or the reason that she couldn't come to work. I mean, if you couldn't come to work and she had to work for you, would you mind if she complained about you and told everyone the reason you called in? Have a little compassion... and try not to let it ruin your day! :)
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 10:38 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• What would you like her to do??
    Leave the kid in the car in the parking lot??
    aybe her BS canceled last minute...what would you have her do??
    what reasons do you deem apprioate to call out for??
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:43 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• When I was working I have covered for the single mom in our office, and I was HAPPY to. Poor thing's child is SICK and he wanted his mommy. My kids rarely get sick but the one time I did have to take off no one said anything to me about rush off to pick him up from daycare. Heartless.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 10:46 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• She'll only get so much slack on that. I don't care what your home situation is. If you were hired to do a job, you will have to do it within the acceptable parameters of your employer. So long as she's taking it as a sick day and it is being counted against her total, then I would have no problem with it. If it's habitual it will only be so long before she runs out of sick days herself and is out of a job.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Why does it matter that she is single? I am married and have called in sick or stayed home with my sick children. And someone had to due some of my job that day. Oh well. I have covered for others, too. I don't really see the point of this question. Seems kind of bitchy to me. Watch out for karma. I hope you are never in her situation and I am glad that you have a perfect fairly tale life.
    Crazy-Steph

Answer by Crazy-Steph at 12:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2008